338 Lapua and Zeiss V6

JohnnyRingo

Beginner
Jun 1, 2016
Having some issues with my Weatherby MV 338Lapua. I have been shooting and hand loading for 40 plus years. My rifle is pillar and glass bedded. My action is torqued properly, scope mounts are Zeiss and torqued also.
I'm getting 1-1/2 groups at 200 yds consistently but the groups will shift as much as 8 inches in all directions.
Could it be the 338Lapua is too much for the Zeiss V6?

Well 3/4 MOA is good shooting. Sure sounds like something is moving. Not sure I understand the dispersion in your shots. Is it day one get a five shot group at 2 o’clock from zero and then next time out you get a five shot group at 8 o’clock, or is it round 1 goes to 2 o’clock round 2 goes to 8 O’clock and round three goes some place else, eventually showing several groups?

What type of mounts are you using?
Picatinny rail?

JD338

Same day shooting. Three to five shots in a nice group then for whatever reason it starts grouping in a different spot
Picatinny rail torqued down with thread lock applied before installation. Scope mounts are tight.
I did make a windage only adjustment and I ended up with a diagonal move in grouping instead of horizontal only. I ended up three inches low along with the horizontal move.

I don't have an extra one and I don't want to take one off another rifle.....
Looks like I am forced to go buy another scope!
I should probably buy another rifle so I can test out the other scope too!
Cover all the bases

Cover all the bases
Bingo!(y)

Buy another scope, test the rifle again. If that doesn’t fix it you’ve got a stock/bedding issue. Given your description of moving diagonally I’m thinking scope. Or dismount the scope send it in with the description it won’t hold zero. See what they say. Of course no one here would ever tell you not to buy another rifle. I have some that still have tags on them.

Cover all the bases
This kind of attitude will make you a lot of friends here!
Good show.

JD338

I would bet it's the scope unfortunately. Sounds like a good reason to get a Nightforce on that big 338 in some solid mounts.

JohnnyRingo,
Have you gotten this sorted out yet? If so, what was the solution?

Dan

Back