338 Wm M77 Range Day/New Stock

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
This could have been placed in the rifle or product review section but it will fit here as well.
The 338Wm had been setting me in a fit trying to get it to shoot consistently and I had tried it in 2 different stocks and now a third one which is where it will stay.
The H-S Precision stock has made this rifle shoot more consistently then before and looks like there is more to come shooting better groups.
One would expect a difference in change of POI when placing a barreled action in a different stock but this didn't happen in this case. I was finding that the tang screw would loosen while shooting with the old stock and the groups would be all over the place and POI would change from one session to the next even with the screws tight.
I had torqued the tang and recoil lug screw to 65"lbs and that torque value didn't change from start to finish.
Today's weather was heavy over cast with rain while shooting the temps were mid to high 60's.
These are a few pictures from today's range session.

Attachments

• KIMG0375.jpg
    KIMG0375.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 1,134
  • KIMG0376.jpg
    KIMG0376.jpg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 1,134
  • KIMG0377.jpg
    KIMG0377.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 1,134
  • KIMG0378.jpg
    KIMG0378.jpg
    926.1 KB · Views: 1,134
Didn't notice if you had another thread or not but what bullets are you trying in it.

That looks danged good TD. Those 210 PTs are looking much better with the new handle on the gun. Congrats. Rarely is a great stock not worth the money.

truck driver":1nmrfyc5 said:
stew":1nmrfyc5 said:
Didn't notice if you had another thread or not but what bullets are you trying in it.
They're the 210gr Nosler Partition loaded with a stiff load of R17 for 3023fps.
Ok thanks I am using IMR 7828 with the 210 partitions going to start trying to find some thing with the 210 swifts again.

6mm Remington":takhqqpk said:
Looks like a good quality stock makes good consistent groups! Nicely done.
I'm hoping the groups get smaller so I can stop testing and do more field practice. :grin:

Have you worked with seating depth previously? Those groups look like they have potential!
EE2

I would take the first one and work on seating depth

elkeater2":2l0vchv9 said:
Have you worked with seating depth previously? Those groups look like they have potential!
EE2
I was working with it in the factory stock and it was driving me crazy and I had two other remembers helping me and figured out there was something mechanical going on. The new stock made the difference.
FOTIS":2l0vchv9 said:
I would take the first one and work on seating depth
That's what I plan on doing Fotis I think I'm getting close.

Fotis took the words right out of my mouth :eek:.
Rodger I am sure with a little fine tuning that 338WM will be just what the Doctor ordered on this up coming Elk hunt.
Have you decided which other rifle you will be taking 35 Whelen AI :lol: hint hint!
Thank you for the report my Friend.

Blessings,
Dan

Really like the look of that HS stock Rodger. Glad you had a good first trip to the range. How does it compare to your Bell and Carlson on your Whelan, specifically, is it thinner through the wrist? I like my Medalist stock, but wish it were just a little slimmer all over.

3000+ fps with a 210 gr Partition is a freight train right there. That should work. That first target without further tweaking looks pretty good to me, but I'm sure you'll bring it in a little. Good luck with it.

BretN I haven't really handled it enough to tell the difference. Though my hands aren't overly large they still require me to wear a XL size glove so the wrist area seems just right for me so far.
It may be slimmer threw the forearm but like I said earlier I can tell just yet.
I hope to get to the range tomorrow and shoot another seating test.

Guy Miner":1r74oj86 said:
Nice! The 210 Partition has a great reputation, and your rifle is shooting them well.

Guy
Thanks Guy, if you had seen the previous results with this bullet and factory stock combo you wouldn't think so.Though not absolutely terrible enough to pass it on sending it down the road it was aggravating as all get out. The new stock is what turned it around and one of the post here on how to do a ladder test suggested by Dewey is what started the ball rolling in the right direction.
Who says and Old Dog can't learn new tricks :?: :roll: :lol:
One just needs to read and listen and then anything is possible. (y)

TD - I've had a couple of rifles with HS Precision stocks.

The 7mm mag Rem 700 Sendero shot beautifully with that stock and no other bedding.

The .308 Rem 700 VS, needed some bedding, to eliminate the high first round, and simply tighten groups a bit.

I liked those stocks, and although I have the .308 in a McMillan now, time to time it seems to end up back in the HS Precision stock, particularly when I want the rifle to shed a little weight and bulk for a hunting trip.

They're pretty doggone good stocks! I'm not surprised that your rife is responding well to the change.

Guy

Back