35 Newton H4895 200TTSX and 225 AB

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I shot the 35 Newton a little this weekend. I am trying to get serious with the old boy to get a load worked out for it. I'd like to take it this Fall. I had a partial box of 200 TTSX's that someone had sent to me so I decided to try those out, along with some 225 AB's.

The AB's are still shooting 2-1. I have some cases ready and will retry them shortly. I will keep backing them up and try to get them to come together.

The speed is fine, right at 2800. I could push them a little faster with other powders, but I don't think it is entirely necessary. I have a 2-12 VX6 on it, so even at 2800, it has a 400 yard ability before I really start having to worry about dialing.

Now, the TTSX's..

This was the first group at 69 grains.

And here is 70....

And the speeds..

I have enough of the 200's to try and see if they repeat. If I can run them over 3000 or so, I think they might be pretty decent.

I would think the 70gr load would be a keeper if it repeats and you can pull the one in.
I run the 225gr PT out of my 35/AI at 2780fps and it was a monster on a white tail doe.

truck driver":1x5byexl said:
I would think the 70gr load would be a keeper if it repeats and you can pull the one in.
I run the 225gr PT out of my 35/AI at 2780fps and it was a monster on a white tail doe.

Yeah, 2800 is pretty mild for the Newton actually. That rifle with RL17 will push it to 2950, but oh man, with that rifle being as short as it is, is a real handful. It doesn't hurt but man it'll come out of the bags.

I am interested in seeing what'll happen. The TTSX looked pretty good and there should be plenty of speed to make it expand.

I found a box of 200gr ttsx cheap and tried them in the 35/AI.
I gave up on them because the fouling was very heavy and I had to let the barrel soak over night to get it all out and I don't think I could push them fast enough to work because I was seeing pressure below 2900fps.

truck driver":3m0vao84 said:
I gave up on them because the fouling was very heavy and I had to let the barrel soak over night to get it all out and I don't think I could push them fast enough to work because I was seeing pressure below 2900fps.

If you were seeing alot of copper from them I would really suggest hitting that bore with JB's or Flitz.. The rebores aren't real smooth from the get go but about a 100 strokes with some mild abrasive will make all bullets travel a little nicer TD. Don't be scared of the stuff, it won't hurt a darned thing.

SJB358":6lf8mgwc said:
truck driver":6lf8mgwc said:

If you were seeing alot of copper from them I would really suggest hitting that bore with JB's or Flitz.. The rebores aren't real smooth from the get go but about a 100 strokes with some mild abrasive will make all bullets travel a little nicer TD. Don't be scared of the stuff, it won't hurt a darned thing.
I did that a 100 rounds or so ago and it did help but it still grabs fuzz off the patches and I have at least one chip out of the grooves that I know off near the muzzle. It's a candidate for a new barrel even though I have it shooting good as is.
I can see tool chatter marks in the grooves with the endoscope I bought so I don't think it will ever clean up smooth.
I still might have a 1/2" cut off the barrel and to get rid of the pit from the chip and crowned to 11 degrees since I really want to hunt with it in Montana unless the .338 proves to be a tack driver since it will give me more range.

Oh, yeah, that 200 grain TTSX with a 70 grain charge is very promising. As you suggest, if it repeats, it is a keeper. I'll bet that rifle is handful off the bags!

Shot the Newton a little more yesterday. Seems like 69-70 grains is the sweet spot. Will shorten these up a little to see what happens.

The 200 grain TTSX will deliver a blow to any game, Scotty. The groups look pretty good. I understand, however, wanting to play with seating depth to tweak the load, moving it toward perfection.

I would think it should be decent Mike. It's running between 3050-3100'ish, so plenty of speed. I think that 3rd shot may suck in a little. Haven't monkeyed with seating depth at all. I believe I am still sitting about .050" off so hoping it might come around a little.

not bad at all . I'm sure you'll get it tightened up some more . if I remember right I used a .070 jump with the TSX bullets

I'll check it out Jim. I think I am .050 off right now. Seems like it should come together pretty easily though.

Scott that 35 Newton is really starting to come together and with reputation that the Barnes 200gr has for retention it should do some serious damage to Elk (y).
I know that before you finish it will be shooting little cloverleafs!

Blessings,
Dan

It does look like 69-70 gr H 4895 is doing well for you. I do believe you are right, a bit of a change in seating depth should tighten those groups even a bit more.

Those are great groups, but I really think the 358's shine with bullets 225 grains and above. I can send you a box if you want?

Back