375 ruger scope - S&B out, now what

Feb 18, 2011
So my plan to replace the scope on my 375 ruger hawkeye african with a S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42 is not going to work, frankly because of budget. I really have max $900-1000.00 and that is pushing it (word from the boss) So now what.

I am looking at a:

used Ziess Diavari 1.5-6X42
Meopta Artemis 1.5-6X42
Swarovski PH 1.5-6X42
Burris Signature Select 1.5-6x40

All under 1k and the meopta and burris about 400.00. I really want to stick with the 1.5-6X option

The Burris on your list has a good reputation for being tough so that would be my choice. What do you have on it now for glass? FWIW the older Leupold Vari X II 2-7x33 I have on mine has held up very nicely so far.

In terms of clarity, either the Diavari or the Swarovski will best either of the others. The Meopta should be another sleeper; those I've handled were pleasingly clear.

gerry":1k581tll said:
The Burris on your list has a good reputation for being tough so that would be my choice. What do you have on it now for glass? FWIW the older Leupold Vari X II 2-7x33 I have on mine has held up very nicely so far.

Im replacing a VX3 1.5-5X that held zero well, but made me loose a shot on a elk last year in the dark timber at last light...I want something that will surpass the vx3 light gathering...That why I had initially went after the S&B

Idahotrophyhunter":kjn2lqny said:
Im replacing a VX3 1.5-5X that held zero well, but made me loose a shot on a elk last year in the dark timber at last light...I want something that will surpass the vx3 light gathering...That why I had initially went after the S&B

Those definitely aren't the best in low light but they are tough scopes thats for sure. You shouldn't have too much trouble selling it if you decide to.

IDH!!! Man, now that is a nice scope right there! Talk about SWEET! That thing has some have some awesome FOV! Man, that is a sweet scope. I wasn't even aware Leica made a low powered scopes in that range. Very nice!

I can speak from experience on the Leica scopes; they are excellent. That one would be superb.

Zeiss or the Swarovski I picked the zeiss for my 378 which has chewed up 3 leupies.

I do question the toughness of some European scopes after following what some of the knowledgeable people at 24hourcampfire have posted. I used to have faith in Leupold's but it's hard to say if they are as good now as they used to be.

If you do a search at 24hourcampfire looking for posts by Formidilosus it is an interesting read on what he likes for scopes based on what happens at his long range shooting shool, here are just a couple.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost6345250

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost6422020

I would go with the Swarovski Z3. The optics are superb, the scope is ruggedly built and the price is very competitive. My Swarovski is as good as the Diavari V Zeiss which cost twice as much!

I had the Burris on mine for a bit...pretty good scope.

I went to an aperture sight but we seldom hunt anything approaching dark.

The 1.5-6x42 class is pretty awesome at light gathering.

Idahotrophyhunter":32moi18v said:
gerry":32moi18v said:

Have you considered the Leupold VX-6 series? They offer a 1-6x24mm with CDS,Duplex or German #4 for a MSRP $999.99 and the Illuminated reticle for MSRP 1124.99.

JD338

My 375R was topped with a 2.5-8x32 VX-III. It worked great. But, I really like the looks of the 1.5-5x20. I'm moving the 2.5-8 on to the 280 AI and going with the 1.5-5 on the 375R.

They just look like they were made for a 375.

Go with the Zeiss or Swaro. I got a Z6 and it gives awesome low light performance. Up to an hour after sunset. Very impressive optics to say the least. It does beat the MK4 Leupy with a 50mm obj versus the 44 on the Z6. But by no means is that MK4 shabby!

I have both a Leica & the VX-6 :). I have only used them for a limited time but really like them both.
If it was cost thing, I think that I would go with the Leupold as it is new. I do believe that Leica is life time as well but I have never used their warranty. I had to use the Leupold warranty once on a 35 year old gold ring and was more than pleased.
Just a old guys opinion :shock:

Blessings,
Dan

IdahoTrophyHunter, I would go with the 1.5-6 PH Swarovski if the price is under $1000. This scope is a 30mm tube, $2000 scope which was replaced by the Z6 Swarovski. It is a very robust scope with great optics which has proven itself in the fields of Africa and everywhere else for 20 years. I have coveted ownership of one of these for many moons but never had the coin!

Back