416 Elk Exterminator "range day"

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
Finaly got to wring out the Custom 416 Rem. In it's final configuration it's a Rem. 700 KS with a 26" E.R. Shaw stainless, fluted and braked barrel. It has a glass bedded Rem XCR stock with modified magazine. It's scoped with a Leupold VX-lll 4.5-14x40 scope with the B&C reticle. It weighes in at 7.8 lbs with the scope. Now this sounds like somebody's weird nightmare. Why would somebody try and shoot a 416 at long range for elk? Well, I forgot to tell the rifle it wasn't supposed to work.
Here's the outcome. Using 300 gr. TSXs at 2830 fps.416 rem 001.JPGView attachment 264 308 Zeiss 416 tgts 001.JPG264 308 Zeiss  416 tgts 002.JPG
.964" at 100 yds. 1.164" at 200 yds. I guess E.R.Shaw barrels aren't so bad.
If I sound happy that's because after an almost $3000 investment on this crazy project it actualy worked :mrgreen:

That is pretty skookum, Greg. It does look as if the bullet is going to sleep somewhere after 120 yards of so. Groupings like that can make a fellow happy. I guess it will work for elk. :lol:

Pop,
I'm just warming up with the 416 Rem. Next I'll stoke up the 416 Wby and we'll see what that will do.
The Race Is On :wink:

Greg,

Nicely done!
Glad it all fell into place for you.

JD338

Very nice, that should do fine for elk, or whatever else on the planet you might run into. Great job!!!

Those 300X's are hard on elk. My .416 Rem. shoots them at 2960fps and it's accounted for several elk, a few deer, and a bear. Everything except one whitetail doe dropped at the shot. She did the typical whitetail dead run and it looked like you poured a couple gallons of blood out in the 50yds she ran. The funny thing is she was the smallest animal I've shot with it too.

You'll love yours too when you let the hammer down on the first critter.

I have to ask why you have almost 3000.00 in it though?

Well, I guess you're set to "use enough gun." :grin:

Looking forward to seeing a report of your elk hunt!

I'm pretty sure I could not shoot a 1-inch group with that rifle. I would be thinking too much about the trigger pull and the abrupt "love" the rifle was going to give me afterwards.

Hunting, though, it would be fantastic. I feel no "love" hunting.

Nice rifle, Greg, it ought to reach out there and speak to elk at any reasonable range that you should want to use it at. It looks like a shooter as well.

I can see a set of ear plugs coming out into the field with you. I had a nice brake on my 7STW which really cut down the recoil but after firing one hunting shot (which did get me an elk) and having my ears ring for two days I found it better to put up with the recoil.

Greg Just loaded up some loads to try with my 416 Bee

116 117 gr of H4350 with my favorite 416 bullet the 330 grain GS Custom
also 120 gr RL19 with the 330

Then some sight in loads with 116.5 gr H4350 with the 300 X

SV101178-1.jpg

Fotis,

Those cartridges simply look awesome. They are massive, that's for certain!

Greg Nolan":2qtz4fgs said:
Finaly got to wring out the Custom 416 Rem. In it's final configuration it's a Rem. 700 KS with a 26" E.R. Shaw stainless, fluted and braked barrel. It has a glass bedded Rem XCR stock with modified magazine. It's scoped with a Leupold VX-lll 4.5-14x40 scope with the B&C reticle. It weighes in at 7.8 lbs with the scope. Now this sounds like somebody's weird nightmare. Why would somebody try and shoot a 416 at long range for elk? Well, I forgot to tell the rifle it wasn't supposed to work.
Here's the outcome. Using 300 gr. TSXs at 2830 fps.View attachment 2View attachment 1
.964" at 100 yds. 1.164" at 200 yds. I guess E.R.Shaw barrels aren't so bad.
If I sound happy that's because after an almost $3000 investment on this crazy project it actualy worked :mrgreen:

Hi Greg Nolan- beautiful rifle - great shooter too - thats a big cartridge ! Hey how is it that rifle only weights 7 lbs 8 oz with scope ? :?: I have a stock rem m700 xcr 375 H&H with a leo 2-7 scope and its a 1 lb heavier ? :?: Just wondering what you have done to lighten it up ? :?: - i would like to lighten mine up also- Thanks for your help -Cheers RJ :)

Back