444 Marlin 270 Speers Rl7

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Wanted to see if I could make a good shooting load for the old Marlin. Had a buddy tell me he didn’t think the 444 was accurate enough for 200 yard deer hunting. I was on a mission.

Ran up through the charges to see where I was at.

I loaded up 3 at 50.5 and let ‘em rip.

I believe I’ll call it a day. Point proven.

The red dog constantly violates my range rules, but she just doesn’t care what I have to say.. ha

I never had a doubt that the 444 would deliver an honest 200 yard group that is sufficient for game. BTW, if you can't hit the red dog that close, what makes you think you can take deer at 200 yards?:unsure: I think that ol' dog is mocking you.:rolleyes:
She’s the worst. Just tests me daily. But she does love me so I take it:LOL::LOL:

That's an easy 200 yard deer slayer, maybe even a little farther with the right scope.
As for the red dog, she has her own style and marches to her own drum beat.
Just give her a little extra TLC.

JD338

Thanks Jim. She is spoiled rotten

I’ll shake the 444 out a bit more once I can stretch it.

You should bring the triple 4 up this summer and stretch the barrel in some bean fields. I did that a couple years ago with the 1895G 45-70 and shot a doe at 160 yards. DRT.

JD338

Good shooting Scott
I just got a 444 Marlin, Finding 270 gn. Speer bullets is the hard part.
Greg

Good shooting Scott
I just got a 444 Marlin, Finding 270 gn. Speer bullets is the hard part.
Greg
Don’t show horn yourself. A lot of good stuff out there for the 444, along with awesome hard cast stuff too.

I like the Speers, but I’d bet I could make do with a handful or more of others. Especially in todays market.

Great shooting. You have a solid load worked up there. Not exactly the same but shooting my 45-70’s always puts a smile on my face. The big bores always seem to be more accurate than expected.

Back