45 COLT,,,410 SHOTSHELL CHOKE

quickdeath

Beginner
Oct 4, 2006
HI GUYS,,,THINKING ABOUT TAKING THE T C PISTOL OUT NEXT SEASON FOR DEER USING THE 410 SLUG,,,2 QUESTIONS,,,CAN I USE A RIFLED SLUG AND IS THE CHOKE REMOVED.I KNOW ON MY SHOTGUNS WITH REMOVEABLE CHOKES THEY TELL YOU TO PUT THE IMPROVED CHOKE IN IF USING SLUGS SO YOU DON'T DAMAGE THE THREADS FOR THE CHOKE.LONG TIME TO GO YET BUT IT WILL ONLY BE A 20 TO 40 YARD SHOT IN THE THICK AREA I HUNT IN,,,ALL THOUGHTS APPRECIATED,,THANK YOU :p

The 410 slug is marginal at best for deer. I would go with the 44 Mag or 45 Long Colt loaded with Nosler PT's. :wink:

JD338

hey,,,you didn't answer my questions,,,can i shoot a rifled slug from this barrel,and is the choke removed.thank you

quickdeath":3i1k5003 said:
hey,,,you didn't answer my questions,,,can i shoot a rifled slug from this barrel,and is the choke removed.thank you

I did answer your questions. :wink:

The 410 slug is marginal at best for deer. I would go with the 44 Mag or 45 Long Colt loaded with Nosler PT's.

With all do respect, you are setting yourself up for disappointment with the 410 slug for deer hunting.

JD338

jd338,,,i wasn't trying to be rude,and if it sounded that way,,,i'm sorry,,,however i live in a restricted game management unit in pa,restricting me to use SHOTGUN only for deer,,,i have already killed deer with my 12 guage,,,16 guage,,,and 20 gauge.since i recently bought a t c pistol in 45 colt and 410 guage,i decided to give it a try on deer,,,my nephew shot and killed 3 deer with his shotgun, a 410 guage.i didn't want to hear that it is minimal for deer,,,all i want to know is if it (t c pistol) can shoot a rifled slug and if the choke had to be removed,,,iwill make the desicion to hunt with it or not.thank you,,,quickdeath

quickdeath,

No offense taken.
The choke tube must be removed when standard ball , rifled slug, or buckshot loads are used.

JD338

I played with some .410 Slugs in my buddies Custom Virgin Valley Custom Guns .45/.410 Contender Barrel wit hthe choke removed. This barrel is a custom 8" Stainless-Steel Contender Barrel.

Accuracy at 18 yards was sort of MINUTE OF DEER, in that at 18 yards the groups were in the 6" to 10" range.

We also did considerable load testing with .45 Colt Handloads in this barrel and about the best we came up with was 2" at 25 yards using a 3x12x Burris LER Handgun Scope to eliminate as much human error as possible.

I have read that guys are using special sized .444 Marlin Brass and other cases thus making a LONG .45 Colt. These guys are loading these to .45 Colt power levels using a filler of sorts to take up some powder space, while others are loading this cartridge up to .45/70 powder levels. Accuracy with these chamber filling cartridges is said to be much better once the long jump for the bullet is reduced.

I have toyed with the idea of a .45/.410 Barrel for years, and may well buy one yet this year, but it will more than likely be used only as a .410.

Larry

Back