6.5 X 54 MS

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
As some of you know I've been making up some rifles from the Savage lately. It's addictive.
This caliber fascinates me.
I'm a Ruark, Hemingway, Bell and Percival fan when Africa is written about. Seems that this was a favorite of Percival(his chosen carry rifle) and Bell and spoken well of by Hemingway.
Old round but thought it might be really fun and unique to build one up. Seems like it might be the 250 Savage of the 6.5s?
Norma has brass and since I have a 264 Win and am currently finishing a 6.5-06 this might be fun.
I was thinking something light and fast handling.
Pac-Nor chambers it so they would be the barrel choice.
Your thoughts?

It is a great cartridge and has been neglected for far too long. Despite the fact that the cartridge was favoured by many in Africa, the Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridges were never sufficiently popular in North America to be sustained here. Still, a great cartridge.

I think your idea would be a fun one but there might be other alternatives on how to go about it. Threading and chambering a barrel for a Savage is not difficult for any gunsmith with a good lathe and the knowledge of how to use it. Contoured barrel blanks are available in various weights from Shilen, Douglas and others. A reamer can be rented or bought. I've had good luck with Elk Ridge Reamers out of Oregon and have just completed three 6.5-06 barrel jobs on Remington 783 actions using their reamers. Graf and Sons lists both brass and loaded ammo for sale in 6.5x54.
Original 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles are a little hard to come by and usually sell in the $2,000 range but are worth every dollar. The 1903 and the 6.5x54 cartridge are made for one another, just like the Savage 99 and the .250-3000 cartridge. Good luck in your project!

Thank you!
I've built a few on Savages.
You're correct, not hard to do and probably more economical.

Back