6.5mm 125 grain Partitions

No experience with that bullet yet, but I am considering it for my 6.5 JDJ. In your 260 Rem, you should get about 2900 fps. The SD is .258 so it should give you some good penentation and with a BC of .449, it will have a decent trajectory.
What game are you considering to hunt?

JD338

Shot a couple pigs with these out of my swede and they worked pretty good. One shot was at about 60 yards, and the other shot was closer to 85 yards. Both pigs went down and stayed down, bullets fully penetrated and exited.

Good hunting

I'd be using them for hunting mule deer and whitetails in open farmland country where ranges can vary from 50 to 400 yards.

I shot some today, 2890 f/s average velocity and groups ran from .6" to 1.2" for 3 shots at 100 yards. I think I'm good to go! :grin:

Try shooting one into 6-7 gallon milk jugs filled with water lined up on a plank at 100 yds. This will give you an idea of wha the bullet will do. :wink:

JD338

muzzleblast525,

What caliber are you shooting?
The 125 gr PT will work just fine and will give you expansion with plenty of penetration but the 120 gr BT is the bullet for WT Deer.
If you are shooting a high velocity magnum up close, I would then suggest the 125 gr PT.

JD338

muzzleblast525":1uwqjn7m said:
Shooting a .260 Rem....

The 120 gr BT from your 260 Rem should give near instant kills on WT Deer with a shot to the lungs. The 125 gr PT will work too but my guess is not as quick.

JD338

I got a box and a half of 120 Ballistic Tips I could try too...maybe this weekend :grin:

120 BT is very accurate in my mauser 6.5x55. Just dont hit bone, they come apart big time. I don't have a problem with them and consider them an exellent whitetail, blacktail or antelope bullet. I let a friend use my rifle on and antelope hunt when his rifle failed the day before and he hit a pronghorn at 250 yards in the front shoulder and the bullet blew up on the bone. It killed the animal instantly, but proves that shot placement is important with whatever bullet you use. Where he hit the animal, a partitian would have been better. In the lungs, a BT is probably better. Both are really accurate, but the BT is flatter. I plan on using the 130 AB once I work up a load to get the best of both worlds.

Good hunting,
Brian

TCBrian,

I agree with you, the 120 gr BT really isn't a shoulder buster. Keep it in the lungs and it will kill like lighting.
The 130 gr AB should be the real deal for you in your 6.5x55.

JD338

TCBrian":1nk7cfw4 said:
It killed the animal instantly, but proves that shot placement is important with whatever bullet you use. Where he hit the animal, a partitian would have been better.

Unless you used a TSX....That would of been better yet....

todbartell":1ackozkg said:
who has used these on game? and how did they work

Im going to try them in a 260 Remington

Have shot 4 Deer with them and one black bear all with a 260 Rem
Running at about 2900 mv . Only recovered one and that was on a shoulder shot on a mule buck found that one under the hide while skinning. Accuracy is more than good enough for the deer huntin I do.

Back