6.8 SPC checked out OK

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I finally got to the range last week for a few hours. I ran a few mags through my AR (M4 clone) and zeroed it for 25/50yds with the irons. I had found online a quick detachable A3 handle/sights and put it on. It shot way high and I could only lower my group a tad before the rear ran out of adjustment. I then just dialed it in with the front sight raised. I want this setup for defense and close shooting. Next time out with it I'll remove the handle and put on my detachable scope ( a Bushnell 1.5x4) and fine tune it about 1.5" high at 100. I like that zero for coyotes. I used Federal hardball but it really shows promise so far with the Hornady 110 BTHP. They claim it works fine for deer up to 200yds, and it is a good load for defense too. I like my trunk gun to have enough oomph to finish off a vehicle injured elk or get through a car door/windshield. I haven't messed with an AR for many years...but "things being what they are"..... (y) :wink:

My 6.8 is also my truck gun. I epoxied a carry handle see through scope mount to the A3 handle. Them added a adjustable cheek rest stock. I also gave the A3 mounting nuts a heavy dose of lock tite. As it's not a long range rig this setup has worked well for me. I put a Vortex Viper 2-7 on it. The rifle has spent most of the last 4 year behind the seat of my pickup. Without loosing zero or any parts falling off.

I liked the idea of the 6.8 spec when I first heard about it, years back. As a vet, I'm very familiar with the 5.56, and I know it works up close...usually. I do like Corbon DPX in it or Trophy Bonded though. I like more power than the 5.56 if I have a choice. I went to M1As for years, great weapons , but heavy/bulky, same with ammo. When I decided to go back to the M4 platform I knew I wanted it in 6.8. I would/could be happy with the Grendel 6.5 also, but I didn't have access to rifle or ammo. 6.8 is readily available over here, and easy to find online. I gathered up some Winchester Boar hunter (DPX clones) and some ammo with the Nosler solid base. If they shoot well ( which I will wring that out with the scope) they will be my first couple of magazines up.

Hey 345- you'll like this story. Several years back I carried a little Marlin 1894 in 25/20 a lot. I just used the old factory load, 86gr sn. I was loafing around Kimmerer over to Evanston, shooting prairie dogs up close. Right across from the entrance to the Deseret Ranch I saw movement as I was driving. I pulled over and about 200yds away was a coyote that had been running an antelope fawn. They were both winded, staring at each other about 50yds apart. Since no one was in sight, I eased the little marlin (4x scope on it btw) out the window and took a SWAG at that coyote. ( I had never shot the rifle past 100yds, so didn't know the trajectory.) I kicked up gravel on him at the shot, he jumped 5 ft in the air and they both ran off in different directions, ha. From then on, I used a truck gun with more power and flatter trajectory, ha. I'm sure this 6.8 would have "chilled his doo-doo"! :)

Back