6mm Sierra 85gr Spitzer

gbflyer

Handloader
Mar 28, 2017
I’m very nostalgic. Today I was perusing Gunbroker while my wife is watching NASCAR. Yes, I already took a nap. Anyway, I found some very old stock 85gr Sierra spitzer bullets, not boat tail. These things should really work out of my 6X45 that I haven’t gotten yet. Best part….$12 per box! That’s probably only 4X what they were new but a bargain today. Haha. Occasionally there is still a deal to be had.

Yep, occasionally but getting harder. Couple weeks back I picked up a full box of the .358 Speer 180 HC's locally for $15. The man shot the 220's and didn't want them. Yep, I'll take that deal.
Odd thing is that there was a listing right above this one, same bullets, single box. It was up to $30. I got shipping notice on my auction. Hope I didn’t buy empty boxes, LOL.

Anyone use the Speer 85 BTSP?

I generally find them a little "tougher" I have used years ago in 243. Found hi shoulder or heavy bone inside 60/75 ta be too fragile altho never lost a animal. But lung shots were picture perfect full penetration. Then for longer then 125 ish any shot seemed to work well.
Picking up a 6ARC and this is a bullet I want to try there.

CW

I took this buck with that bullet back in '21. About a 50-yard shot, but it was thru some brush and I hit higher than I intended, but I got the spine and he dropped on the spot. That's the only deer I've killed with that bullet, but I'll use it again next time I'm using the .243. It seems to be very accurate, as well.

IMG_20211116_205955.jpg

Anyone use the Speer 85 BTSP?

I generally find them a little "tougher" I have used years ago in 243. Found hi shoulder or heavy bone inside 60/75 ta be too fragile altho never lost a animal. But lung shots were picture perfect full penetration. Then for longer then 125 ish any shot seemed to work well.
Picking up a 6ARC and this is a bullet I want to try there.

CW
Sorry, mine was the 85gr BTHP. According to Sierra, it's a harder bullet, designed for medium game, not a varmint bullet.

I took this buck with that bullet back in '21. About a 50-yard shot, but it was thru some brush and I hit higher than I intended, but I got the spine and he dropped on the spot. That's the only deer I've killed with that bullet, but I'll use it again next time I'm using the .243. It seems to be very accurate, as well.

View attachment 21941
What a buck! Wow!

BD, a friend of mine who has used that bullet extensively in 243 said it turns it into a 25-06 with it's terminal effect on deer. It uses a Matchking jacket which is why it's a tougher bullet with very good to excellent accuracy.

I've only shot one deer with it, a large doe at 120 yds. Hit her on the point of the left shoulder as she was quartering to me and she dropped in her tracks. The heart and lungs were severely mangled.

Ron

When I did my load workup for that bullet, it was very accurate. If not for that one shot... 😡 Those other shots are the tightest 3-shot group I've ever shot at 100 yards (.242").

IMG_20210529_184620.jpg

Back