7-300 Win Mag wins the 1100 yard match

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Well I ended up taking 1st place in the shoot! I was a little intimidated at first being the youngest guy there, but I know my ability to shoot and confident in my rifle and loads. Was also my first formal competition, so I was also very nervous. It was in 4 different stages from 200-1100 yards. Was a dang good time with a bunch of great guys. Definitely be doing it again. I do think I need a different caliber though, 7-10 shot strings in 3 and 4 minutes on a 7-300 win mag gets the barrel SMOKING HOT, literally could smell the steel, and fry bacon and eggs on my barrel... I bet my throat didnt like it much either. The MK4 8-25x performed beautifully in the tracking department, not 1 issue with all the up and down dialing. So now I'm contemplating what to build for these type shoots...Cause at this rate my 7-300 will be toast in a year haha. But I tell you what, those 180g ELDMs at 3000fps sure sliced through the little wind that we had. I did not touch my windage once, which was pretty cool, because all the 6.5 CM guys were putting 2-3 MOA at 1000-1100 lol. Been thinking of a new build for competitions and will either go with a 284 Win on a 700 long action, or a 280 Rem, 28" heavy stainless 8 twist Bartlein with the new stainless material for 1.5-2x the barrel life which should be good for 3500-4000 rounds, 4 port muzzle brake,180g ELDMs at 2800-2900fps, McMillan A5 stock, and a Leupold VX3 LR 6-20x.

Attachments

• 20200725_150435.jpg
    20200725_150435.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 683
Way to go! That's some nice shooting. I like your future replacement projects especially the 280 Remington. What a sweetheart of a cartridge. Maybe the 280AI, I'm sure liking mine???

Great rifle. If your thinking of a 700 long action I built a Remage 284 win on a 700 long action with a custom long throat. McGowen precision 1-8 twist 28” Sendero Profile. 197 SMK’s load out 3.393”. It is sitting on a Magpul 700 stock that has been beaded thinking of going to Oryx chasis. Have not had it out much lately with all the stuff with COVID and work. But I’ll be out shooting this fall. I did get a 26” Black Hole Weaponry M40 profile in 260 Rem 1-8 twist. This will be a backup for the 700 long action. I’ll get that barrel soon and I’ll be set one day shoot 284 win change out and now I have a soft shooting 260 Rem. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

djauofd":13tw53zs said:
Great rifle. If your thinking of a 700 long action I built a Remage 284 win on a 700 long action with a custom long throat. McGowen precision 1-8 twist 28” Sendero Profile. 197 SMK’s load out 3.393”. It is sitting on a Magpul 700 stock that has been beaded thinking of going to Oryx chasis. Have not had it out much lately with all the stuff with COVID and work. But I’ll be out shooting this fall. I did get a 26” Black Hole Weaponry M40 profile in 260 Rem 1-8 twist. This will be a backup for the 700 long action. I’ll get that barrel soon and I’ll be set one day shoot 284 win change out and now I have a soft shooting 260 Rem. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a really neat idea.

EXCELLENT!

Very good job. Yes, I remember entering the world of competition shooting many years ago on a shoestring budget and surprising people when I did pretty well.

Ya - the hot cartridges work great - BUT - there's a price to pay. May of the competitors I know replace their barrel every winter, some replace their barrel twice a year! So... Having a rifle that's easy to work with helps.

You did well. Congrats!

Guy

Congrats on your first win. Your time and effort along with your ability paid off. More wins to come for sure. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":79pxex9l said:
Congrats on your first win. Your time and effort along with your ability paid off. More wins to come for sure. Dan.
Congrats! That's outstanding shooting.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I’m just jealous of that beard.[emoji1] must have too much Native in me. Can’t do it.

Great shooting too. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats Jorey! Great job.

By the way you're starting to look like a Russian Orthodox priest with that beard brother. :mrgreen:

Nicely done Jorey, congratulations.
All your hard work paid off.
I like your idea of a LR target rifle in 284 or 280 Rem. The 280 AI or 6.5-284 might also be ones to consider.

JD338

Back