7 Rem. Mag. and Vihtavuori powders

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi Folks,

I am getting started on reloading this caliber, which will be shot in a break-open single shot Blaser K95 with 26" barrel length.

I have a doubt on powder choice (within Vihtavuori brand).

With the following components :

Nosler BT 140 grs. bullets.....

RWS Cases....

Large rifle CCI Magnum primers....

.....would it be better to use the N160 or the N560 ?

I need an accurate hunting load for game up to european Stag (through roe deer and chamois...) and shots to be taken within the 250-350 yds. range.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

:wink:

While I have shot 140 grain bullets, my 7mm RM prefers 160 grain bullets. I use a lot of N165, which performs very well. I have used N560 with the heavier bullets, and it performed very well indeed. No doubt this was in part due to the fact that it is a double-based powder. I should anticipate that with the 140 grain BT you will obtain marginally higher velocities with the N560 contra N160; however, either should serve you well.

Bluejay,7mags are a great gun. I agree with DR.Mike,160-175 grain bullets for this caliber. Right now I'M loading 175 grain Speer mag tips in my 7Mag for whitetail here in Alabama. I've also got some 160 grain bullets which I"m going to load later. I have to agree with DR.Mike about the powder choice,cause I"ve never used this type of powder.Good luck on the hunt.

7Mags forever and a 30 cal. will "Slam Dunk Um"

My first choice is N-165 as DrMike stated - I've had great performance with it and the 150gr Ballistic Tips.
I don't have any experience with N-160 - N-560 has worked good in anything I've tried it in. It always seems to be the "go fast powder"

Back