7mm-08

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I've been having so much fun with the Savage 6.5 Creedmoor I couldn't pass up the 7mm-08 for a sale price.
Sight in target right out of the box was low and right at 25 yards.
I made scope adjustment and moved to 50 yards.
Low and right, scope adjustment and then just a bit low.
5683a5fae04d11a0806340efb94c87cf.jpg

Scope adjustment, and out to 100 yards and shot 2" group on left.
Scope adjustment and shot the 4 on right.
bf5f0fae5f6fbef1a6ee5777a0aa1760.jpg

This was with the cheaper Hornady Whitetail ammo.
Just posting to show what I got out of the box with no tweaking.
Honestly would work okay as is for a 100 yard deer rifle.
Reloads or other ammo may help some.
cde9b2efbc8a2150f917933e7ac7f6a9.jpg
2591c7966c1143262c0332f6f7e88e4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, that gun should shoot far better than that. Assuming you're a decent shot, 1-1.5" at 100 should be easily the norm, with just about any ammo.

I'd make sure your scope mounts are tightened appropriately and nothing is moving on you. It's almost unheard of these days for any rifle to shoot 4" groups.

Good luck, brother.

I'd check scope and stock screws for sure. Also, were you using a bench or off the hood of your vehicle? How far apart in time did you space your shots? Hot and windy, so did the barrel get really hot? Goes back to how far apart were the shots spaced. usually when I'm shooting it's hot. (95 to as high as 115) Sometimes I have to go 5 to 10 minutes between shots and even then the barrel isn't cool. The type of target can also be a problem. My preference is a black 2" square for 100 yard work. You align the crosshairs on one of the corners for the group. I never really could get decent groups on round bullseyes. :oops: I feel the square is a bit more precise.
Paul B.

Actually some good advice here. After I shot these I checked the scope base and rings and found they were all loose. When I got the Creedmoor, things were tight so I didn't even check this one after giving it the initial cleanup. Lesson learned.
Possibly will have time to try again after work tonight.
Hopefully will have time to put a few hand loaded rounds together.
I would be the first to admit my shooting ability could be better. The eyesight never has been good and is not getting better with age, but I too would hope for much better results with this rifle.

I doubt I could ever shoot single hole groups, but I am capable of 1" or under with the right combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back