7mm Rem Mag question

swampghost

Beginner
Nov 29, 2014
I own a couple of rifles chambered for this cartridge. So, I have brass being fired from both. My question is this (and I pray it makes sense): Are there any issues reloading these since they are not fired from same rifle? I plan to full length resize them and only plan to use them in one of the rifles. The other is a Browning BAR and if I recall correctly; I used to need small base dies when loading my 308. I seem to recall seeing something about this caliber headspacing on the shoulder instead of shoulder but maybe I just read too much.
Thanks!

Head spacing only applies to building a rifle. If it's already built and you've been shooting it, your alive and fine.

When you full length resize your brass you are resizing it to SAAMI specs, unless you have a custom die from Whidden for example. You can use the brass for any rifle chambered for it. The only thing is, what powder charge.. this will depend on each individual rifle, or you can find a charge that works well in both rifles.

I personally fine tune each rifle to a specific load.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

the 7 rem mag brass is designed to head space off the belt . if you adjust your full length die so you " bump " push back the shoulder about .002" - .003 " you will have the brass sized so it will headspace off the shoulder just like a NON belted brass case . the problem I see is using the fired brass from another rifle . this could need to be sized more , or less , to fit the other rifle . if you set your full length die up per the die instructions , you will probably be bumping the shoulder back a lot more than needed . this will cause the case head seperation due to case strech right in front of the belt . if you properly resize belted brass you can get many reloads out of the brass . the best way to measure your brass is with either the Hornady headspace tool that attaches to your caliper , or the RCBS precision mic .

I'll advise keeping the brass separate. Put it back in the rifle it came from.

I've played that game before, and it worked out best for me when I kept the two batches of brass separate. Put 'em back in the proper rifles.

Guy

just size the "BAR" brass until it fits the other rifle , for the first time . after it has been shot in the other rifle size it by bumping the shoulder .002-.003" . since you are using all this brass in one rifle only , I don't see a problem .

Full length resize them and they will work fine. Once they are fired in the rifle, neck sizing will suffice for a few loading's then they will have to be sized down enough to chamber. I am currently using brass that has been fired in two different 7 mm mags with no problems.

I full length resize all my brass.The only time I've had problems mixing brass is when it's been fired in a Ruger #1.I have two #1's in 7mag and two in Rem. 700.I started having extraction problems with my Rem. 700's.Resized a new lot of one-fired brass for the Rem. 700's and the extraction problem went away.I still haven't figured out why.The brass chambers fine,it's only after it's fired is when there is a problem.Since then I started keeping the brass separate between the two types of rifles.This is the only time I've had this issue,so my recommendation would be to keep the brass separate just to be on the safe side.

Back