7mm Ultra Mag Barrel Life

jbdre

Beginner
Jan 4, 2005
I am shooting a 7mm Remington Ultra Mag. and I am shooting it hot using Retumbo and a 160gr AccuBond. I don't expect a long barrel life but does anyone have any direct experience with this caliber and barrel life? How many rounds should be reasonably expected fron this catridge and a factory barrel? the present barrel has about 800 rounds through it and shoots very well indeed. I would not expect better from anyone's custom barrel but don't know how long to expect it to last. When the time comes the rifle will get a Hart barrel of the same caliber.

No first hand experience with the 7mmRUM but I do have a 338 RUM.
Proper barrel care and keeping it cool will prolong the life of your barrel.
I'm thinking 1500-2000 rounds before the accuracy starts to deteriate.

I have a Hart #5 Flutted chambered for 280AI and shooting 160 gr AB's in the .2"s. You will like the Hart barrel.

JD338

I agree! 1500 rounds or so is normal for my 30-378 if you keep barrel cool and clean. Should be between that and 2k for your 7.

I got 1200 out of my 300 RUM before groups went south at LR. I dont think a 7 RUM is going to get better because of the smaller diameter bore...Everything I've been read and told is that a larger bore, given the same case is used, that the larger bore will give better life. I wouldnt' expect any more then 1000-1200 out of a 7 RUM, but I could be wrong.

Remingtonman,

You have a better handle on this than I do. I took a swag at 1500-2000.
The secret is keeping the fouling down and the barrel cool.
I used the rubbing alcohol trick on my 338 RUM barrel this past summer and it worked well. I've got about 600 rounds down the pipe and all is well so far. When the time comes, I will have a Hart barrel installed.

JD338

Thanks guys. I never let the barrel get too hot to comfortably touch and rarely more than just warm. If I can get 1500 rounds through the barrel I will be happy.

I have been wondering the same thing about the 7RUM, I hope I can get a 1000 or so out of mine, we will see!
:grin:

My 7STW with a Hart custom barrel lost its edge at about 900 rounds. I always kept it clean and cool. I wouldn't expect match accuracy beyond that, especially in the 7RUM.

If you're talking about 1"-1.5"moa than you may get quite a bit more servicable life from the barrel.

I may not get 1500 but if the barrel will hold 1 to 1.5 moa it may be enough. It will do better than that now but it is a hunting rifle not a target rifle and the above would be enough. I won't mind sticking a Hart on it when the time comes anyway.

Back