A bad night

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I had a bad night the other day. My hunting buddy has a fire in the camper he has been staying in and Disney make it out. It also started my other buddy’s house on fire. These guys are closer than brother’s and have been excellent hunting partners and friends for several years.

I actually meet these guys while out hunting, my wife and I had gotten unbelievably stuck for several hours in a particularly shitty mud hole while moose hunting. We were there a good 5 hours and I had completely deforested the area 100 ft in every direction trying to winch out. These guys happened to get stuck on the other side of the mud hole and Between the 4 of us we got ourselves free. We ended up hunting with them the rest of the week, struck up a strong friendship and have been hunting, riding, camping, and weekly barbecue buddies ever since.

Wes wanted to get into more long range shooting and reloading so being the ”gun guy” in our group I helped him get a good long range rifle and scope and started him reloading for his 300 Rum.

I had found him a Remington 700 in a HS precision stock and sold him a 5-25x50 vortex PST Gen 2 in a set of Seekins rings I had. I showed him how to get it perfectly level, bedded the stock, and worked up a really good load with Barnes 180gr TTSX.

He used it when we hunted this year, shot a nice caribou with it.

All this really hit me hard when I was helping clean up after the fire and pulled out this burned up rifle. Obviously the loss of the rifle was no big deal, but I think it hasn’t been real until I picked it up.

Take this time to reach out to your friends and families. These things come out of nowhere, happen incredibly fast. He was a great guy, fun loving, easy to hang out with. Hunting won’t be the same without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That hit close to home. Death always hits hard when it takes those close to us. My sincere condolence. May God comfort you, enabling you to remember the great things you did together.

Sorry to hear. Funny how people are guided to each other through sometimes weird chance…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Your words are difficult but full of wisdom. Pray that peace comes with good memories for you and your friend. CL

So sorry for your loss, Bear. I know full well how tragedy can strike at any moment, having lost my son just a year ago. Prayers for comfort and healing for all concerned.

Back