Accuracy Loads, CZ-550 Varmint, 308 Win.

Oldtrader3":136h2zr7 said:
All I kill is paper but I do like to see those 1/2 to 5/8 groups in a regular ole rifle!

Well, the regular 'ol CZ-550 Varmint with a 2# Timney shot this group from some of my test loads just this Sunday. That's 5 shots at 100 yards, about 0.2" CTC or 0.5" total group, edge to edge. Smokin!

168gr Berger VLD seated at the lands, over 42.0 of target, using Fed 30-06 brass resized to 308, with necks turned and reamed. Federal LR primers. Chronied at 2560 fps. Scope was zeroed at 200 yards, so POI was 2" high to POA.

I have come to the conclusion that 95% of reloading technique is all about the brass and 95% of that is just about the neck of the brass, "technique" being something the loader actually modifies, after choosing a bullet, powder and primer. My conjecture was that starting with thicker necked brass from the re-sized 30-06 cases (brand new Federal brass in this case) would allow more tinkering with neck turning and reaming without unnecessary thinning of the neck.

P1010170.jpg

P1010172-1.jpg

. . . and yes, I understand it's only one group, but it is a 5-shot group with my own reloads and it is the best this rifle has punched, to date. Very happy!!

More complete details of my reloading quest with the 30-06 brass here, if interested:
http://reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21339

Have also laid in a supply of the Nosler BT's, which showed up at the LGS. Will be working those up soon, but I never seem to get as much done at the range as I do on the reloading bench, so no data on those, yet.

PS: The group in the upper left is the same 168 gr Berger load in once-fired Remington R-P 30-06 brass resized, but without reaming or neck turning, and with CCI-BR2 primers. It is only a 4- shot group, but still damned respectable, IMO
Berger VLD 55gr bullets over 38.5gr of H322 in the new Lapua brass punched in a 4-shot group a bit over 0.5" -- two "flyers" kept it from being a single hole.

P1010175.jpg

Those are assuredly fine groups. You have every reason to be pleased with that effort.

TEC, those groups certainly show promise for that rifle. Keep working n the optimization of those loads and you will find a place where you want to be. Good shooting!

rick smith":1abd88tp said:
TEC, good to see you on this site. If you have any H or IMR-4895 you might want to give them a try. Rick.

I second this. I've had nothing but supurb results with the .308 Win and IMR4895 combo.

Back