Any love for the 22 WMR?

bmoore

Beginner
Aug 24, 2020
Last winter I picked up a Savage 93 F just to try out the 22 WMR. I have been totally impressed with the little rimfire. We use it for blasting water bottles and jack rabbit hunting now and then. It packs quite a whollop. I shoot the CCI 30grn TNT lead frees and chrono'd them at 2,130fps out of my rifle. It does about 3/4 inch at 50 yards with these. The only scope I have ever had on it is a 24.99 Tasco 3-9x32 from Wally. I have enjoyed the rifle so much I have a Vortex crossfire 2-7x32 coming for it today. Makes a good compliment to a 17hmr and I am totally impressed with the 22 WMR.

Attachments

• IMG_6172.jpg
    IMG_6172.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_3898.jpg
    IMG_3898.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,080
Oh, yeah! Wow. Reading your post just brought a flood of memories from my youth.

When I was growing up those of us too young to have centerfire rifles relished our .22 WMRs. Any kid who could manage to get one would. For those of us who hunted woodchucks, it was a God send over the .22 Long Rifle. I would hate to think of the hundreds of woodchucks that met their ends with the .22 WMR around western NY. Mine was very accurate (a Marlin bolt action, I believe). One of my friends had a Marlin lever action.

We carried them wherever we went. I would often walk to the farm to do chores so I could hunt there and back. Sometimes I just slung the rifle over my back when I rode my bicycle.

My Grandfather would pay me a whopping $.05 for every woodchuck tail I brought him. Those few days when I didn't have my jackknife on me I had to resort to any means possible to separate the dead woodchuck from its tail.

For woodchucks we used a Winchester's semi-jacketed hollow point. For shooting treed racoons at night we used the full metal jacketed bullets and shot for the eye reflections.

When we used to clean the calf and heifer pens the fumes from the manure would cause the cartridges in our pockets to tarnish.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Dan

NYDAN":1kvugn2h said:
Oh, yeah! Wow. Reading your post just brought a flood of memories from my youth.

When I was growing up those of us too young to have centerfire rifles relished our .22 WMRs. Any kid who could manage to get one would. For those of us who hunted woodchucks, it was a God send over the .22 Long Rifle. I would hate to think of the hundreds of woodchucks that met their ends with the .22 WMR around western NY. Mine was very accurate (a Marlin bolt action, I believe). One of my friends had a Marlin lever action.

We carried them wherever we went. I would often walk to the farm to do chores so I could hunt there and back. Sometimes I just slung the rifle over my back when I rode my bicycle.

My Grandfather would pay me a whopping $.05 for every woodchuck tail I brought him. Those few days when I didn't have my jackknife on me I had to resort to any means possible to separate the dead woodchuck from its tail.

For woodchucks we used a Winchester's semi-jacketed hollow point. For shooting treed racoons at night we used the full metal jacketed bullets and shot for the eye reflections.

When we used to clean the calf and heifer pens the fumes from the manure would cause the cartridges in our pockets to tarnish.

Dan

Thanks for the stories!

I have a Savage Model B22 with a heavy barrel that shoots most ammo real well, but it likes the CCI TNT Green especially well, under an inch at 100 yards if the wind is not blowing. I also have a 22 mag Ruger LCR revolver and the two make a great pair for around the ranch.

Great stories, Dan

AFG270":3gx10pv7 said:
I have a Savage Model B22 with a heavy barrel that shoots most ammo real well, but it likes the CCI TNT Green especially well, under an inch at 100 yards if the wind is not blowing. I also have a 22 mag Ruger LCR revolver and the two make a great pair for around the ranch.

Great stories, Dan

Oh nice. The B22 seems like they did some nice upgrades.

I will see if I can find my Recent post re: this same rifle. It is my favorite rifle to shoot just for fun. CCI's are a great round but V-max's ain't bad either. Maybe not "love" but just so much fun! My rifle is the 93FV, in a Boyds "Dakota Will" stock with a Vortex 4-12.

PS- once you dump a jack with a 22Mag, a 22 just wont do.... CL

The thread....
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41254

I had a Marlin 22 mag and it was accurate. Truth is when I added my 17 HMR, 22 Hornet, and 17 Hornet I found it just sat there and gathered dust.
After a year or so I sent the 22 Hornet down the road too. Never got any action.

I have a Savage 93 G 22 WMR topped with a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm that has accounted for many woodchucks, racoons and possums. Mine shoots the Winchester gray box 40 gr JHP the best which is around 1 inch at 100 yards.
It sure is a lot of fun to shoot.

JD338

JD338":1y02kiyf said:
I have a Savage 93 G 22 WMR topped with a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm that has accounted for many woodchucks, racoons and possums. Mine shoots the Winchester gray box 40 gr JHP the best which is around 1 inch at 100 yards.
It sure is a lot of fun to shoot.

JD338
Awesome. I just shot some of the gray box 40's in my rifle this morning. My rifle certainly likes the 30grn TNT better. Not huge, but it is certainly noticeable.

Back around 1962 I got one of the early Ruger single six revolvers in .22 Mag. The was before they went to dual cylinders. I was in the Air Force at the time and one of my buddies along with a el tee that loved to shoot all went out into the desert to have a little fun. hat thing was load and actually painful in the ears. for all three of us. The el tee almost ordered me to quit shooting that thing or move off a couple hundred yards so it wouldn't be so bad. One of the shortest times I ever kept a gun. I don't even remember what I traded it off for. I never owned anything else in WMR. That round in a handgun left a bad taste in my mouth and most likely it added to my hearing damage. Too bad because I did like the added power over the .22LR.
Paul B.

PJGunner":2hh7t171 said:
Back around 1962 I got one of the early Ruger single six revolvers in .22 Mag. The was before they went to dual cylinders. I was in the Air Force at the time and one of my buddies along with a el tee that loved to shoot all went out into the desert to have a little fun. hat thing was load and actually painful in the ears. for all three of us. The el tee almost ordered me to quit shooting that thing or move off a couple hundred yards so it wouldn't be so bad. One of the shortest times I ever kept a gun. I don't even remember what I traded it off for. I never owned anything else in WMR. That round in a handgun left a bad taste in my mouth and most likely it added to my hearing damage. Too bad because I did like the added power over the .22LR.
Paul B.

Yeah I can see that in a short barrel handgun for sure. I actually got the 17hmr and 22 WMR because they are easy on the ears while out varmint hunting. And very easy on the ears while plinking with muffs on. Both of my rifles are 21 inch barrels.

I've wanted a 22 WMR lever action for a lot of years...preferably an older Winchester.

A friends dad has one that I've borrowed and used on occasion over the years, I've tried to buy it many times but he won't sell it.... he has said it is willed to me when he's gone though.

Looks brand new, shoots like a dream, not sure of the year.... but its been around a while.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Bought a CZ455FS in 22mag last year just because I got a good deal and wanted it for late squirrel hunting. It groups the Win 40gr HP slightly better than the CCI JSP or HP but not much. Tried a few of the 30gr weight but not enough for a real comparison. Those Winchesters do all I need out to 75-80 yds. Dan.

I have 3 22 magnums, 3 22 LR, 2 17 HM2 and one 17 HMR. They all have their place, but I prefer the 22 Magnums. All of them are MOA guns with their preferred ammo. They seem to thump with more authority than the HMR.

Where my camp is I prefer the HM2. That little bullet at those velocities just isn't going to have anything left after it hits anything. It's the perfect "edge of town" round.

I’ve been missing a .22 mag in my collection. I had an older Marlin bolt gun that was really accurate.

I’ve been thinking of replacing it with the Ruger American compact, just don’t know if the 18” barrel would be beneficial to the little cartridges ballistics or not.

It would be nice though if I add a suppressor to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I understand Henry makes a pump in 22Mag w/ an octagonal barrel. Tell me THAT don't peak you interest just a little.???? :lol: CL

Rednek rampager":15e3jir4 said:
I’ve been missing a .22 mag in my collection. I had an older Marlin bolt gun that was really accurate.

I’ve been thinking of replacing it with the Ruger American compact, just don’t know if the 18” barrel would be beneficial to the little cartridges ballistics or not.

It would be nice though if I add a suppressor to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am pretty sure after 18 inches it makes no difference with 17hmr and 22 mag. There is an article floating around out there where someone cut back a barrel inch by inch with a chrono.

EDIT. Here you go

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

I don't know- the difference between the 22 and 23 inch barrel w/ the CCI Vmax was 50 fps. Hornady's were over 80 fps, if my math is right... In that little case, that borders on significant IMHO. Be interesting to see what would happen w/ a 26 inch barrel. CL

cloverleaf":39uvjaay said:
I don't know- the difference between the 22 and 23 inch barrel w/ the CCI Vmax was 50 fps. Hornady's were over 80 fps, if my math is right... In that little case, that borders on significant IMHO. Be interesting to see what would happen w/ a 26 inch barrel. CL

Wow, that seems like a lot of loss for 1 inch in a rimfire. You generally won't see that much in a centerfire.

NYDAN":3eveuib5 said:

Dan

I think we had the same rifle Dan. Man, mine accounted for a lot of animals.

Remington had/has some 30-32 grain Accutip stuff that my rifle just adores.

Back