Ballistic Tip Didn't Blow Up.

High Brass

Beginner
Dec 14, 2004
I took a deer this week using a BT out of my 30-06 (165gr) and it really held together well, least I could tell by the exit. Shot was about 80 yards and about 1/2" below being right between the eyes. Exit was below jaw out right side carotid artery. Bang flop for sure. Exit wound was about quarter size at largest. I've only killed two deer with BTs and neither case was really horrific like I hear so much about. I should state that my handload is rather mild at 55.2gr of IMR 4350 and I'm sure that has alot to do with it. Very accurate bullet that doesn't deform in detachable mag(Rem. 760 pump) and at these mild velocities seems to hold together well. Thanks Nosler.

Chad

I watched my buddy shoot a 16" thick pine tree with his 270 Win. with ballistic tips. Went right through the tree.

Right through the tree....in one piece. One exit hole about twice the size of the entrance hole.

So many variables though....could be a dozen different things.

highbrass,

congratulations on your deer, good shooting too.

Its kink of funny how so many people trash the BTs. I feel very strongly that most BT failures are actually operator error. The hunter has chosen the wrong bullet for the application, pushed the bullet to an impact velocity higher that it was designed for (3000 fps Impact ) or didn't hit their target where they intended such as the guts instead of the lungs.
As a result, they save face by putting the blame on the BT.

You have just proven that the BT's really work, and they work well!
We here all know how great the BT's are, we can just smile and keep filling the freezer with more venison.

Again, congrats.

Regards,

JD338

I love bt's. I have shot quite a few deer from 75 yds out to 500 with 115 grainers out of my 25-06. Most of them have been close to pass throughs with the bullet stuck in the hide on the off side. I like to have all the bullet energy to stay in the deer. If a bullet zips right through, to me what is the point. Some of those shots have been in the front shoulder and the bullet still ends up in the off side. They do make a mess at times but I have yet to loose a deer. Last week while out Mule deer hunting my buddy shot a giant buck at around 350 yrds with his 300 weatherby mag using barnes XLC's. He shot low twice hitting the buck in the brisket. We tracked that buck all day. We seen him in the spotting scope once later that day. The bullet looked like it just pushed a pencil hole through. I beleive if he was shooting BT's he would have blown a crater in the bottom of that deer and we would have recovered him. My sheep this year was shot at around 200 yrds. Dropped with the first shot, right on the shoulders. I also was shooting 180 gr bts out of my .338. I shot a few deer with the .338. Basically just cored a golf ball size hole all the way through (a little too much gun). They worked great on the 2 bull elk shot with them. Both 1 shot at between 300 and 400 yrds. I did see one case where I thought a bullet that held together would have worked a little better. A friend was shooting 120 gr bts out of a 7 mag. 500 yd shot on the shoulder. The buck dropped and the got up packing his shoulder. Took a bit of tracking before we got him. I see the trend here tends to be Accubonds but I am sticking with Bts.

No disrespect but your shot proves nothing about the bullets performance. If you are head shooting deer you could use a .22lr & kill them pretty dead. The NBT is a good bullet if impact vel. stays below 2700fps IMO, form my own tests & friends who hunt w/ them. Good shooting BTW.

Back