BALLISTIC TIP vs PARTITION

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Coming to differences in accuracy, within the same or similar weight range (e.g. .264" 120 BT vs 125 PART) what's you experience?

Are there subtantial differences in the field?

Looking up the BC, there shouldn't be!

BT 120 --> .458
Partition 125 --> .449

Been shooting only BT so far, but for hunting purposes I was seriously thinking about switching to Partition type bullets, also in my ideal pursuit for a "one-do-it-all" cartridge, ranging from small Roe deer (30 Kgs.) up to an European Stag (250/280 Kgs. alive).

Also, the bullet I seek should be a flat shooting one and "wind-drift" free, to hunt chamois on the Alps.

Am I asking for too much?

Appreciate your help.
:wink:

You want the 125 Partition for the game animals and their weights that you mentioned.

For exterior ballistics look at the first post here. They are free software.

Bluejay":111n47zr said:
Coming to differences in accuracy, within the same or similar weight range (e.g. .264" 120 BT vs 125 PART) what's you experience?

-Ballisticv Tips are a accurate "hunting" bullet--one of the more accurate in my experience. Generally--if your making good handloads--BT's will generally group 15%--20% smaller than PT's. In other words, if you can put 5 shots of BT's at around 3/4 inches, than 5 shots of PT's will generally run 1 inch or less. This has held fairly true with a variety of rifles and cartridges for me.

Are there subtantial differences in the field?

-You--nor the critters--will notice any difference in accuracy between the Ballistic Tips vs the Partitions in the field.

--

Looking up the BC, there shouldn't be!

BT 120 --> .458
Partition 125 --> .449

Been shooting only BT so far, but for hunting purposes I was seriously thinking about switching to Partition type bullets, also in my ideal pursuit for a "one-do-it-all" cartridge, ranging from small Roe deer (30 Kgs.) up to an European Stag (250/280 Kgs. alive).

-When it comes to terminal performance on game, the Partition is a far better bullet than the Ballistic Tip--and probably the AccuBond too (although the AccuBond has only been available for a short time--time may tell).

Also, the bullet I seek should be a flat shooting one and "wind-drift" free, to hunt chamois on the Alps.

-There is no such thing as a "wind-drift free" bullet. Time of flight (velocity) tends to have a bigger effect of wind drift on a bullet.

Am I asking for too much?

-I would recommend the Partiton.

Appreciate your help.
:wink:

Back