Best bullet to chamber easily and to shoot accurate

Gunnysgt

Beginner
Feb 27, 2011
I own a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-A1 pistol (P19132LP) with 5" barrel. Here is the link to view the pistol and specs...
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=24

This link is in PDF for those that can read it
http://www.springfield-armory.com/asset ... 9140LP.pdf

If anyone out there has this pistol do you have any recommendations for a good shooting- practice jacketed bullet that cycles well? Also, recommendations for a good match grade bullet. I like to practice on less expensive bullets and use the pricey stuff for matches.

What powder/s does this gun like? If you have any loads to share that would be appreciated.
I purchased this pistol back in 2004 and shot it once with lead semi-wadcutters. It didn't chamber too well and didn't cycle well either. I had my gun smith look at it and he smoothed out where it needed it. His final opinion in test firing, he stated that the gun was particular in what it liked to shoot and where it has a strong main spring he recommended not to use a light load. He also likes to use lead bullets...I don't, especially indoors. I would prefer to use something like a 185 grain Nosler Hollow Point for target shooting. Your feedback please. Thanks

Gunny

Gunny,

I feed my Kimber Tactical Pro II a steady diet of W-W 230 gr FMJ and Rainer 230 gr bullets, both on W-W 231.
Feeding is slick as glass.

JD338

JD338":232i8r8j said:
Gunny,

I feed my Kimber Tactical Pro II a steady diet of W-W 230 gr FMJ and Rainer 230 gr bullets, both on W-W 231.

JD338

Thank you JD. I am trying to use a 185 grain bullet by nosler.
Have you used this bullet?

Gunnysgt":3jk01182 said:
JD338":3jk01182 said:
Gunny,

JD338

Thank you JD. I am trying to use a 185 grain bullet by nosler.
Have you used this bullet?

Gunny,

The only bullet weight I have loaded is the 230 gr. This is the bullet that made the 45 ACP great so that is what I will stick with. If Nosler comes out with a 230 gr, I will be all over it.

JD338

Welcome to the forum Gunny (from another Gunny!). I haven't messed with too much other than the 230gr FMJ's out of my Kimber. I wouldn't be too scared to try the Nosler 185's though. Should be some load data on Hodgdon's site to help with loading. Good luck. Scotty

beretzs":wrstyjji said:
Welcome to the forum Gunny (from another Gunny!). I haven't messed with too much other than the 230gr FMJ's out of my Kimber. I wouldn't be too scared to try the Nosler 185's though. Should be some load data on Hodgdon's site to help with loading. Good luck. Scotty
Semper Fi to you too. Two gunnys are better than one. Thanks for taking time to respond and to all the other guys as well.

OORAH

No worries. This is the BEST forum on the net for reloading, hunting and shooting. Great bunch of fellers here. Hope to see more of ya. What else are you shooting? Scotty

Scotty, that's great. I do feel welcome thanks.
A bit about my shooting. I am a precision shooter or Benchrest Shooter. I shoot a 6mmPPC (.243 cal.) cartridge fire formed from 220 Russian brass and belong to the IBS. I shoot for group, not score or bullseye.

I shoot Trap and I love my Beretta AL391 Trap Gun. With arthritis I can shoot that gun all day without any bruising or shoulder pain. I reload with a MEC 9000GH progressive loader to save a few bucks on ammo. $12 for factory loads, $4 for reloads.

I just returned to shooting bullseye NRA match with a local club. We shoot 22LR. I shoot a Smith&Wesson mod. 41 with a Clark barrel and a S&W model 2206 for fun.

I own a 1911 Colt MK IV series 80 45apc that is a tack driver and have used factory ammo up until now. A few years ago I purchased a Springfield Armory Full Size 1911-A1 5" stainless Loaded V12 model in 45acp. It is presently at the SA Custom Shop for a trigger job and a top mount for a red dot sight. I have been trying to develop a load that it likes.

This is where I'll be needing H E L P. I own a Dillon RL550 B press and purchased Redding dies in 45acp. I'll be using a Bull-X cast 185 grn SWC with Bullseye powder. Is 4.0 grains a good beginning charge to start with? How would you ladder up test loads for it? A tenth (0.1) of a grain at a time or 2 tenths (0.2)? Also, is that a safe range to begin with? Thanks to all.

Gunny

Guns, post your question up in the reloading section. I am not a 45 loader, so I can't assist much, but I imagine the other folks here would be able to help you out. Sounds like you have a full plate of shooting!

Do you do any hunting? Scotty

For Bullseye shooting, guys used around 3.6-3.8 grs of bullseye with 200 grain SWC.
I checked an old Lyman book and the starting load with 185's is 3.5 grs with bullseye.
If you are going to shoot the light loads you may want to go to a lighter recoil spring.

For most of my shooting with the 45, I use W231 with 200 gr SWC. I never tried the 185's.
Try some of the plated bullets for practice and function until you find what works for you.

Back