Binocular Options from Germany

Feb 18, 2011
Posting for my cousin who is stationed down in San Diego, but is finishing up his time with the marines in two weeks and headed back to Idaho...Wants some good binos...

Heres the situation - opinions please...

High end glassing binoculars for elk/mule deer/antelope hunting out west.
Going with 8X because there is a high end spotter to judge trophy quality way out there

Options...

Show Sample Steiner Peregrine XP 8x44 - $850.00
Show Sample Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42- $700.00
Used Leica Trinovid bn 8X42 - $6-700ish (ebay)

Of the three, I really like the Leica. Truthfully, I've not handled the Steiner, but I have no doubt that this is great glass. The Conquest is good, but it is not a Victory. I have a couple of Leica products, and they compare very favourably with Swarovski and Zeiss Diavari.

I have read numerous opinions on birding forums that the steiner xp rivals the best glass in the world. It at one time was selling for $1700.00

Leica makes some awesome glass.. I would also check out Cameraland as well, they sometimes have open box specials and such from Zeiss, Swaro, Minox and Leica.

Good luck to your cousin in his future after the Corps!

I have never read anything that was truly negative about Steiner binoculars. However, I have never handled them myself. I have used Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica in the field at one time or another. Zeiss Victory is still the standard by which others are judged in binoculars. Zeiss Conquest are a great bargain, but they are not Victory binoculars. In all honesty, with my aged eyes, I cannot tell the difference between Zeiss Victory and Leica. Similarly, in scopes, I have scopes that are representative of each of these manufacturers, and the scopes are for all practical purposes equivalent. I would not be surprised to discover that Steiner ranked with them.

I am fortunate to own a pair of the Leica Ultravid compact 10x25's and I just love them. They are great so I cannot see the larger Trinovid being anything but exceptional.
David

I have a pair of Leica Trinovid 8x20's and Zeiss Victory 10x40's. I would pick the Leica for the money.

I have Leica 10x50's and 10x42's and have compared them to Swaro's. My Leica's were brighter in early morning and late evening conditions. Any other time they were really close. I would choose 10x binoculars over 8x if he plans on hunting open country. The extra power is nice if your glassing long distances.

IdahoCTD":gh5jrhi0 said:
I have Leica 10x50's and 10x42's and have compared them to Swaro's. My Leica's were brighter in early morning and late evening conditions. Any other time they were really close. I would choose 10x binoculars over 8x if he plans on hunting open country. The extra power is nice if your glassing long distances.

Without a doubt! I love the 10X Zeiss's I am running with. Nice glass too. Hard to beat the Euro glass and the Leica's still seem to be very reasonable for the glass you get.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40009

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-leica.html

I am not sure about the the Binoculars but once you have had a Leica scope I don't think even my VX-6 is as sharp in early morning or at dusk :shock: did I just say that :lol:

Blessings,
Dan

I've had my Leica 10X42 Trinovids for about 8 years and wouldn't be without them when Elk hunting. My hunting partner has a pair of Swarovski's (I believe the 8X42EL's). He looked through both of ours early morning and late afternoon and came away stating that mine were brighter and sharper. I also looked through both and came away feeling that the Leica's were better. Leica makes and excellent product.

big rifle man":3of98man said:
I've had my Leica 10X42 Trinovids for about 8 years and wouldn't be without them when Elk hunting. My hunting partner has a pair of Swarovski's (I believe the 8X42EL's). He looked through both of ours early morning and late afternoon and came away stating that mine were brighter and sharper. I also looked through both and came away feeling that the Leica's were better. Leica makes and excellent product.

Plus, the Leica's can usually be had for a bit less money as well. Not much, but enough to know it didn't hurt quite as much..

He ended up going with a new demo set of Steiner Peregrine XP - Read a lot of birding reviews that put these up against the best in Europe. These retailed for 1599.99 new and he was able to win an ebay auction for them for $711.00, I think he did good.

Back