Birmingham Proof House, UK. - Visit

ElmerThud

Handloader
Jul 16, 2011
http://www.gunproof.com/

Just Thursday 27th Feb this wk, I and a group of friends visited the Birmingham Proof House where they have a tour and museum. Of course included in this is a 'rogues gallery' where firearms that have failed in one way or another are displayed.
The failures may have occurred while being tested at the proof house or elsewhere and been sent in for forensic evaluation of why the failure happened.

It's a fascinating place and open to groups of not more than 10 people and dates back to 1813 when the place was first established. Prior to then, all proof testing was carried out at the London proof house.

Oddly enough, while certain countries proof testing is perfectly fine and guns may be sold without first being tested, all guns imported from the USA have to be proof tested as no UK valid proof testing system is in place in America.

While I was there, two Westley Richards barrels 'in the white' 1x .505Gibbs & 1x .600Nitro double were to be tested, also two Barrett .50cal. rifles and 1 x.338Lapua Magnum.
Incidentally, they also often test black powder cannons there, and some small ones (5lb) were being prepared for testing too.

It was a very interesting four hour tour and excellent question and answer time made for technical matters and clarification. If you're ever in London or Birmingham and able to make time for a visit, arrange it in advance and you won't be disappointed. (Currently it's a £15 per head charge)

Incidentally, you can also get your own ammunition tested and get a full detailed analysis of pressure and chrono done with their barrel under proper laboratory conditions. There is of course a charge for this service..I'm going to get my own hunting loads tested..the downside is I'll have to re-fireform my brass again!

Cheers, ET

Attachments

• Bham Proof House Feb '14 02.JPG
    Bham Proof House Feb '14 02.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 457
  • Bham Proof House Feb '14 01.JPG
    Bham Proof House Feb '14 01.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 457
That looks like something I could really enjoy. Thanks for posting.

Yes, I believe that it would be a very interesting to tour :). I could see me spending some time there with a camera & a gun friend or 2!!
Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Dan

http://www.gunmakers.org.uk/

This is the link for the London Proof House that dates back I think to 1637...an organisation embodied by whats known as the 'Worshipful Company of Gunmakers'. Much older than the Birmingham Proof House.
It's known that historically there was animosity betweeen the two houses after the BPH was established in 1813. I'm sure they now 'resolved' their differences! :lol:

If I ever make across the pond I'm bound and determined to pay a visit.

VERY neat stuff ET! That looks like something any good gun crank would love.

Great pictures too!

Back