Brass Question

Fifteen loads of the same batch? If so, I feel safer tossing the whole batch and buy some new brass. For me, it's not worth nit picking each case with a paper clip to find cracks or thin spots. I'll use them as sample cases for my annealing machine to adjust dwelling time. I would check headspace on my dies to ensure its bumping no more than .002"

I do the same except I run the next size up expander ball into the case, instead of painting it. case life of belted cases is greatly improved if you set your die so the cartridge will headspace not only on the belt but also the shoulder.

I do the same except I run the next size up expander ball into the case, instead of painting it. case life of belted cases is greatly improved if you set your die so the cartridge will headspace not only on the belt but also the shoulder.
You'd be shocked and surprised just how sloppy headspace is held by the belt on belted cartridges. After the first firing, I set my sizing die to use the shoulder Works quite well on most cartridges but some like the .300 and .375 H&H require a bit more care when setting up to headspace on the shoulder. I posted on how I do it for the OP so you can find it and compare with how you do it. It does help lengthen case life.
Paul B.

You'd be shocked and surprised just how sloppy headspace is held by the belt on belted cartridges. After the first firing, I set my sizing die to use the shoulder Works quite well on most cartridges but some like the .300 and .375 H&H require a bit more care when setting up to headspace on the shoulder. I posted on how I do it for the OP so you can find it and compare with how you do it. It does help lengthen case life.
Paul B.
if you run a larger expander in one case you don't have to fire them first

if you run a larger expander in one case you don't have to fire them first
I don't see much problem with most belted cases but the very long tapered necks of the .300 and .375 H&H complicate it a bit. My .375 H&H is on a Ruger #1H so I'm very fussy about headspace in that rifle.
Paul B.

Well tonight I laid the old Norma brass to rest. It served me well and helped fill the freezer many times over. The Nosler brass will have to step up to the plate and do its job now.

Attachments

• 20231107_191453.jpg
    20231107_191453.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231107_191658.jpg
    20231107_191658.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 9
I've used an oversize brass cleaning brush a few times , to remove a separated case .

Back