Bullet Crisis

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I seem to have discovered my own personal bullet crisis.

Was poking around in the garage, doing a little loading, sort of mulling over a few loads & rifles to tinker with... and started taking inventory of my bullets...

Oh my goodness... :shock:

Now someday I may need more match bullets, particularly if I get back into match shooting and back up to my 2,000 - 3,000 rounds of .308 Win every year, like I was doing for a while...

But hunting bullets? Nope. Got that covered... And then some. Good grief.

.204 - about 1,200 bullets. Mostly 32 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip varmint bullets
.224 - about 1,000 bullets. Mostly in the 55 - 69 gr variety. Could see getting more match bullets.
.243 - about 400 bullets. Mostly 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip hunting bullets
.257 - about 1,000 bullets. Mostly 115 gr Ballistic Tip & 115 gr Partitions. A few 100's as well.
.308 - oh my goodness... In addition to about 1,500 match bullets, there's roughly another 1,200 hunting bullets from 110 gr Sierra JHP varmint bullets to 220 gr Nosler Partitions, with a heavy emphasis on the 165 - 168 gr weights... NO, I don't need to EVER buy another .30 caliber hunting bullet!
.375 - Sitting at about 750 - 800 bullets, ranging from 220 - 300 grains, mostly Noslers. Includes a box of Hornady heavy jacketed solids, in case I ever need such a bullet...

Pistol bullets are almost as bad... There are boxes of cast lead .38, .44 and .45 cal bullets.. As well as 600+ jacketed bullets for the .44 and about as many for the .45 ACP...

Might need some more cast handgun bullets someday... maybe.

I enjoy picking out bullets, testing them, then stocking up on the ones I like. Apparently I liked that more than I thought. Some of these bullets go back quite a ways, have been stockpiling some for quite a while I think.

As I approach 60 years of age, I'm thinking that I will likely take somewhere between 10 and 20 more big game animals and go on quite a few coyote & varmint hunts during the rest of my life. I don't think I'm going to need thousands of big game bullets... Feeling a little silly now...

Good grief - I've got bullets... Now powder... I could maybe use some powder... :wink:

Guy

Guy,

I can't help but notice a glaring gap in your bullet stockpile between .257 & .308 that you should really address!

I now know where to go if I ever run short on bullets. ;)

JD338

shoots_5":38nua54h said:
Guy,

I can't help but notice a glaring gap in your bullet stockpile between .257 & .308 that you should really address!

Gaps I've got for sure. No 6.5's, no .277's, not even any .284's anymore, once my favorite rifle bore size!

Even bigger gap between .30 and .375... Somehow that makes a lot of sense though. To me.

I know... You .35 Whelen guys think I "need" one of them as well... Not happening. Not until I run out of .30 cal hunting bullets... :mrgreen:

I'm in the same boat, Guy. For most of my rifles I've settled on a hunting load, but can't resist trying something new.
I've yet to decide if mail order from the Shooters Pro Shop is a blessing or a curse.
One new addition to the equation is my Grandson recently joined the hunting crowd so I am able to make a dent in the 30 cal bullets keeping him supplied with plinking and hunting ammo for his 308.
I've got just as much loaded ammo as well.

Well Guy for a military man you're getting low on the .224" diameter bullets for the AR. Besides, they're cheap, so you can't say it's a cash issue and easy on you as well!

FOTIS":2l3cfl6b said:
This is hardly a crisis. Lol

Yeah, I'll take this kind of a "crisis" any day! (y)

Have the most consistency, same kind/weight of bullets, in .25 cal, .30 cal and .44 cal. The others are more of a mix of this 'n that.

This helps explain why I'm not real interested in picking up a 6.5mm, a 7mm or a .338 rifle... I've already got all the bullets I'll need to hunt the rest of my life, if I don't buy something with a different chamber...

Logistics are important to me...

Guy

Guy, I don't have that kind of supply but I likely have 1500 to 2000 bullet in about 5 calibres. Mostly in the .277 & .284 and I believe I now have 300 225gr. in ABs for the 35 Whelen. I know a certain Doctor that might have a bullet or two in his man cave but I am not sure if he would have exact numbers :wink:!

Blessings,
Dan

Had some of those. Gave/sold most of them. Might have a few strays here and there. Likely in 7mm...

Had some great stuff, like 160 Accubonds and 175 Partitions...

Guy

I have been pretty careful about sending bullets to people when I sell a gun, so that I don't fall into the "well I already have bullets and dies for that caliber", syndrome? However I do have at least 500 bullets for each rifle that I load for and about 200 handgun bullets along with factory loads. I do keep more factory pistol bullets on hand, JIC!

I've got several hundred loaded for each of the arms I have but I made the mistake of buying a 9mm and a Lee Classic Turret press, thus there are 4,000+ rounds loaded and ready to shoot.

nvbroncrider":2e57eg29 said:
Wincheringen":2e57eg29 said:
I've got bullets for bore sizes I don't even own.

So what bullets do you have without a gun?

50, 416, 338, 17. Mostly stuff I picked up through the years in bulk deals. I also have some bullets for bore sizes that I own but don't shoot like 6mm.

I've had to stop buying .277 and .308 bullets myself. Thousands of them.

But I get that warm fuzzy feeling when I open the cupboard to admire them though!

Wow I think I need to take a trip and shop at Guy's Bullet Grocery Store. LOl You have quit the stock pile.

Back