Burris ?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I am thinking about updating the Vortex on my 6.5 Grendel. What do you think about the Burris Fullfield II 4.5X-14X-42mm? Would it be a good scope on an AR15?

I have that same scope wearing a Pentax badge (literally, made in Philippines on the same production line) and it's a good scope. It rode atop my 270'bee for a couple of years. Just about the only concern I'd have putting it on an AR is the overall length of the scope (it's about 14" long, I believe). If you're good with a long scope on there, I'm sure it's up to the job.

Burris customer service leaves a lot to be desired should you ever need a repair.

JD338

I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x32 scope on a .22LR but it is just barely adequate and only remains because it is not a very accurate .22LR. This scope is not small and is nearly the size on my VXII Leupold 3-9x40 which I am considering exchanging for the Vortex because it is a better scope, optically. I am sure this is a Chinese Vortex and after having the Chicom spy on my internet URL for 13 years, I promise never to buy anything Chinese which I can source anywhere else!

I had a Philippine, Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch on a Marlin 1895 and it was a low resolution, dark scope which rapped me in the nose every shot because of shorter, than spec, eye relief! I also had failures of (3) VXIII scopes while on hunting trips which put me off Leupold for some time. However, Leupold is still making scopes here in the US with components from wherever and Schott glass? The Leupold warranty is the best there is in the market! Leupold has also upgraded several of their lines and is trying to make a more competitive (US Made) product now since the new lines came out.

Given the present optical quality and manufacturing jobs situation in this world, I am inclined to stick with Leupold or Austrian optics, depending on application. However considering everything, I would be fine living with US Made, Leupold's for any new guns that I may buy. Buy American for scopes suits me fine. Just my reaction to the present job crisis in this country.

I wouldn't be scared of the Burris's. I have a couple and they have been good scopes for me and seem to provide good optics for the money. The newer Redfield 4x12 is a nice scope as well..

JD338":zsjxfuqq said:
Burris customer service leaves a lot to be desired should you ever need a repair.

JD338

I really do not know why Burris get so much negative comments about their customer service. I own 3 Burris scopes a Fullfield II like the one the OP is asking about, a 3-12x44 Signature Select, and a 3-12x50 Euro Diamond and all 3 had been great.

The FFII and EuroDiamond have been flawless And, here is my only experience with Burris CS.

The Signature Select had a loose ocular piece right out of the box. If you are familiar with the Burris system the lens focus and power adjustment ring is all contained in one rotating ocular piece. Well, mine was just loose. It can be moved up/down, right/left. Anyway, I contacted Burris and was told to send it in. Mind you all this was around the X-Mas holidays. To make a long story short, I had my new scope repaired and back in my hands in less than three weeks.

When I called to find out if they have received the scope and was entered into their system, a real nice lady by the name of Donna told told me "It's done, we'll be shipping back to you shortly" I was like "really, already?". Mine would have been a fluke, but to me was all good.

Back on topic the 4.5-14x42 FFII is a really good scope for the money my only issue (already mentioned) in your case is that it maybe a tad long for the AR.

35R

Jim's experience with service on a FFII was not like your experience, 35R. Obviously, two incidents are not a "service record" but it certainly bears hearing more about Burris' service. I know when I've dealt with them on an issue with a ring that was incorrectly machined, it took over a month for them to send a replacement out to me. Not impressed with that service, but on the other hand, I still use their signature rings...

I hear you Dubyam, and I agree two incidents are not a service record. And, I must confessed I am a little bias since I really like the way my Burris scopes perform considering how much I've paid for them. IMHO Burris scopes are the best bang (no pun intended) for your buck these days. Having said that, I have not had the opportunity to see through a Vortex Viper scope. I do have them in my short list when the time comes for me to put a scope in an AR Project that I am working on.

35R

JD338":k26pown1 said:

JD338

I have a Burris 3-9x40 Signature w/ the Electro-dot reticle that worked great for years and until the switch started acting up and then quit. The warranty was long expired on the electrics but I sent it in to be fixed and had it back in two weeks at no charge.
In my book this was stellar CS.

Back