Chronographed some loads

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I ran a few different Nosler loads across the chronograph yesterday and find I am running 100-150 fps slower than book speeds.
I notice a lot of the test barrels are 24"-26" so feel I am in the right ballpark with my 22" barrels.
It would be nice to see the loading manuals show results with multiple barrel lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the same recently when comparing my 7mm-08 loads. Aren’t the vast majority of commercial factory barrels 22”?
If so, Nosler using 24” barrels in test is frustrating at best, as we can’t really use the manual for benchmarking.

Wait until you use Nosler brass and get slower speeds than with other brands of brass. Hint Win/Rem/Fed and Weatherby are in the middle. Hornady brass gives the most speed.
All these loads are the exact same length/primer/powder/bullet and loaded at one sitting. I found this to be true with several different cartridges.

The manuals are guides at best. All of the differing components and throating and just barrels themselves would be exhausting to test. I believe the books do a great job as it is. Subtract 25 FPS for every inch less or more and generally work in those parameters. Not being a downer but it’s handloading and never an exact science.

What gets me with nosler is the 26” test barrel on the 9.3x62 data. I’m mean who actually has a 26” barrel on a 9.3x62 lol. But most companies use 24” test barrels when most factory rifles are 22”. I just use the data as a starting point, and work my way up until pressure signs. And for the 9.3x62 I just use all the info from John Barnes on 24hour campfire. He has had a lot of his loads pressure tested and loads to 30/06 pressure limits in rifles with good actions. If anyone is s future 9.3 owner be sure to check out some of his data.

Back