Custom 280AI

WeatherbyFan

Beginner
Jun 3, 2016
Well after building a cpl custom rifles that shot really well my oldest Nephew was wanting a lighter rifle built in 280AI, so after gathering up some parts and a donor rifle I dropped everything off to a local Magician.....Gunsmith Gary Flach......poof about a week later out pops another 6lb masterpiece from Garys Bench !
I got to the range yesterday and it didn't disappoint shooting Nosler Trophy Grade 140gr Accubonds.

Rem 700 SS action, trued and squared and fluted, bolt handle lightened, bolt shroud lightened,
Benchmark #1 contour match grade SS barrel, 26", 1-9 twist
Wildcat Ultralight Stock
Timney Calvin Elite Trigger
Talleys and a Leupold VX3i-4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm tube

That's a good looking rifle! Can't beat a 1 week turnaround for a custom rifle either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is excellent turn around time and a very nice looking rifle. It was very nice of you to do that for your nephew. I notice this is your fourth post, welcome to the forum. Do you live close to Dr Mike, Gil, or Gerry ?

April, Maple Ridge is about 1400 km south of Gil and me. I lived in the Lower Mainland next door to Maple Ridge for almost eighteen years. It is a lovely area. Not trying to steal your thunder, WF.

DrMike":12izhl1n said:
April, Maple Ridge is about 1400 km south of Gil and me. I lived in the Lower Mainland next door to Maple Ridge for almost eighteen years. It is a lovely area. Not trying to steal your thunder, WF.

Not all Dr Mike it's all good, yes it was built by Gary Flach and not only does he do great work but he's fast,

I dropped a gun off to another gunsmith a few years back to have reblued......well it took 1.5 years and still wasn't done, after tracking the rifle down I dropped it off to Gary to gunkote it, have a buttpad installed and lighten the trigger, I dropped the rifle off on a Thursday and picked it up Monday.......he's like no other gunsmith I know of, he does excellent work, fast and at a reasonable price.

Europe":298llmc4 said:
That is excellent turn around time and a very nice looking rifle. It was very nice of you to do that for your nephew. I notice this is your fourth post, welcome to the forum. Do you live close to Dr Mike, Gil, or Gerry ?

Thank you for the kind words, yes I'm really liking the Nosler Forum not to mention their ammunition, so far it been very accurate.

Beautiful rifle. Can't beat a rifle set up like that for all sorts of hunting. Congrats on the shooter.

Welcome to the forum and man you have found yourself a gem of a Smith. Could you please give me the name of his company as I have a couple of ideas going through my head like building a 260 :wink:.
That is a beautiful looking rifle and in the 280AI you can't get much better than that.
Thank you for the post and photographs.

Blessings,
Dan

Nice rifle!

Is the group on the target under it, from this rifle? If so, looks like a shooter, too!

Good to hear that you have found a gunsmith of quality and great customer service!

I just got a call this week that my custom Winchester Model 88, that was being rebarrelled to a 338 Federal is finally done. This is 3 years after the promised date of delivery! All I can say is that it had better have been worth the wait! And this is the same gunsmith that did my 6.5 Creedmoor rebarrel on a LH Browning X-Bolt All Weather in less than 6 weeks last year.

Back