Custom Interarms Mark X Mauser 30-06 WOES

WHELENATOR

Beginner
Nov 4, 2004
Fellows, I have a serious question for you. This happened to my buddy yesterday while shooting. He has a custom interarms 30-06 built here in town by a GOOD local smithy in 2002. We switched scopes around Saturday from a Kahles on this rifle, to a Leupold Vari-X III, 1.75-6. Talley Premier bases and Talley QR rings. Everything went together very well, nothing visibly out of the ordinary. Well, we got to the range yesterday and first off, we pulled the bolt and aligned the bore with a target 25 yards out. Then, looking through the scope, it's about 18 inches off to the right. OFF THE WHOLE TARGET BOARD which is about 18 inches wide or so. Well, I started turning the windage screw but ran out of adjustability and the scope was still off to the right a bit from center.
I am curious what's going on here since the KAHLES mounted in there previously shot perfect, and was not adjusted in any extreme way. from mounting, just a few clicks here and there and all was well.
What would cause this Leupold, which otherwise worked superbly on a Weatherby 338-06 to be this far out of center, especially while using TALLEY mounts and rings?? It has us really stumped...
Someone please tell us what your thoughts are on this..and thanks.

I would say re-mount the whole system one more time. Since everything else is the same BUT the scope. Make sure everything lines up correctly :!:

Did you change mounts or rings with the new scope? If not, as Pop said remount again. Kahles scopes have more wingade adjustments than the Leupold. If still occurs, take it to a good gunsmith and have them check your screw holes on top of the action.

Thanks for the replies guys. The gunsmith I mentioned previously is the one who installd the Talley bases and we checked those. Very tight still.
we are now thinking that the scope has crapped out. There is no reticle movement when adjusted to full windage both left and right. does same when optically centered at Leupold's Tech Dept. instruction.
brian re-mounted the scope last night, plus we miked the bases, rings, and everything related and all shows very precise. And yes, we did use the same Talley QR rings for the Leupold scope as was on the Kahles. We are going to check it again this weekend and laser sight it, but also re-mount another known good scope, and see what happens. if the Leupold still won't zero, it goes back to them for an overhaul.

I really dont know if this is possible, but here's another idea. Is it possible that when the Leuy was on your weatherby the rings were not "true" so that the scope was damaged in some way but still maintained its function. Once the tension of the rings was released things went hokey. Ive never had rings lapped on any of my rifles, but if I undersatnd that is part of the point of doing so. Boy, I hate scope stuff. Good Luck!! CL

Hey, I didnt notice earlier, but you said you were using QR rings. Thay make me skeptical but again I havent had experience with them either so what do I know? CL

Back