CZ Model 455 .22 LR review

BretN":ust42xpt said:
Polaris,

Check out rimfirecentral.com. They have a huge section on CZ, but also if you scroll down to Other gun brands, you'll find discussions on your JW-15. Someone there will know. I have no idea if they shared tooling, or if the Chinese we're just that good at copying someone else's designs. BN

Don't know either- but I know Norinco made copies of the Browning .22 auto takedown. (Auto 1 perhaps? cant remember the designation) Passed on one of those 30 years ago when I didn't have the $125 required. :shock: :cry: Have looked for one for a long time. Still cant afford the "real thing".

BretN":ou89c9k4 said:
P I have no idea if they shared tooling, or if the Chinese we're just that good at copying someone else's designs. BN

When you dig into the history of gun making behind the iron curtain...it gets weird. The Soviets exported gun making technology and tooling all over the world as a means to a political end- so much so that the AK-47 is the single most common arm on earth with well over 100 million produced.

It's quite probable that the Chinese got their hands on some of the 452s and decided to simply make their own version, they also made licensed and unlicensed copies of all sorts of Soviet military hardware as well as copies of Western designs.

A friend had one of the little Norincos once upon a time- It drove tacks if you could get over the fit and finish... it was well worth the $59.00 he paid for it.

I've owned 3 of them, still have 2 (JW-15). Sold one to a friend. They are still the one gun that I will buy on sight for any reasonable price if bore and function are good.

I've put mine up against all makes of .22s at our gunclub's fall sporting matches, and it bests or equals them all. The Savages and CZs will give it a run though. They're all in the same league definitely.

Yeah, fit and finish is military grade but functional. A little Moly lube on the safety and bolt rails really smooths them up. Great little rifles.

Did some more research, and both rifles are based on a Military trainer and target rifle developed by BRNO in the late 40's, which is an improved version of a K98 trainer commissioned by the occupying German forces in 1943. A technical assistance package went from Czechoslovakia to China in the early 60's, and this rifle and tooling was likely a part of it.

I looked at CZ when I was looking for a 17 HMR Rimfire, but I went with a Ruger instead for the safety. If memory serves me correctly the CZ operate the a different direction than all my other rifles.
Where with Model 70’s and 700 you push it forward to fire.
I did do a review on this site on My Ruger .17 HMR you can look it up, but it made Me change my thinking of Ruger Rifles.
Yes CZ does make some nice looking Rifles but I could not get over the Safety thing.
Enjoy your new Rifle.

I tried out some Federal match 22 round-nose ammo today and some Norma match 22 round-nose ammo also. The Federal match stuff did not shoot any better than the plain old Federal American Eagle hollow-points. The Norma was as accurate and maybe just a wee bit better. I had two groups out of three that were 1/2" at 50 yards for 5 shots. I did not measure them but the targets had 1/4" squares inside the 1" square, and one looked to be just a bit less and one just right at or a bit more than 1/2".

I'll just shoot the plain American Eagle stuff since it's a lot less money and very close as far as accuracy goes. Sure liking this rifle. They have 6 small steel targets at the 50 yard range and now I'm excited to do some sitting, standing, and prone stuff just for practice. Should be a lot of fun.

6mm Remington":16cxdb9c said:
I tried out some Federal match 22 round-nose ammo today and some Norma match 22 round-nose ammo also. The Federal match stuff did not shoot any better than the plain old Federal American Eagle hollow-points. The Norma was as accurate and maybe just a wee bit better. I had two groups out of three that were 1/2" at 50 yards for 5 shots. I did not measure them but the targets had 1/4" squares inside the 1" square, and one looked to be just a bit less and one just right at or a bit more than 1/2".

I'll just shoot the plain American Eagle stuff since it's a lot less money and very close as far as accuracy goes. Sure liking this rifle. They have 6 small steel targets at the 50 yard range and now I'm excited to do some sitting, standing, and prone stuff just for practice. Should be a lot of fun.
Which Federal Match did you try? There is Gold Medal, Gold Medal HV and Champion Auto match. I've had best luck with the Gold Medal HV in a couple rifles vs. anything. Aquila standard velocity was really good too, as good as the GMHV usually, but with the occasional underpowered flyer, about every 20th shot or so.

Thanks Polaris for the update. I think it was just the plain Gold Medal stuff. I shot up the whole box and the Norma stuff too.

I have the same CZ 455 22 LR and it is excellent. I put Warnes on mine as well with a 4X Leupold. It is a little terror and really fun to shoot.

Back