Digital scales vs beam

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I was feeling like I wanted to get more accurate with powder charges and I purchased a digital scale from well known and trusted company. I followed the instructions to set up the scale and started weighing charges. (I always weigh every load for my hunting and target ammo.)
I was suprised when the scale did not respond to powder being trickled into the pan. I re-zeroed the scale and trickled powder into an empty pan.
The scale gave no reading until it had 3/10ths of a grain in the pan.
My beam scale shows a change with one or two kernels of powder.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Yep.
Digitals are no more accurate then beam scales and as far as sensitivity they are not quite as good IMO. The load sensors seem to hang at times and other times they appear to move on their own. They work fine for weighting bullets, cases, ect where you want to find the weight of a object, but to verify a weight such as a correct powder charge the beams are a beter choice. Again this is my opinion based on my own experiance with a Pact and from hearing others complaints about theirs of other brands.

Then too, many people swear by `em............... :?

I have been useing a Lyman digital for a few years now,& have seen few problems with it.I do,however keep carefull track of the negitive weight given after the bowl is removed after each charge It gives.If it doesn't stay the same,I redo.After a while it becomes second nature to watch it work,& eventually you get used to it.

I would be concerned about a .3gr.load in the pan,& no weight indicated.I would return it for warrenty.JMO.

Bigwheels
How accurate is your Lyman scale?
The scale I was using was suposed to be accurate to 1/10 gr.

With an electronic scale you have to be aware of power input cleanliness, air currents, temperature variations which effect the load cell, etc.... i have an RCBS that is at least 7 or so years old... the only one they had back then... it is pretty accurate.. i always run a calibration sequence before i begin and i try to let it "warm" up for a bit before i begin using it (basically turn it on let it sit). The update on it is fairly slow especially when trickling... i am not sure what update time it has... 1 - 2 seconds maybe more? but when i am close and trickle a bit in and no change i'll VERY gently bump the pan and it'll upset the loadcell and it'll reaquire...

i've been considering breaking out the 5-0-5 again just to mess around with it but i like the thru-put that i can achieve when usign the digital scale...

just as with any electrical or mechanical tool... gotta understand how it works and why as well as accept it's shortcomings and plan for them or leanr how to compensate...

J

i have a electronic scale also and sometimes when i trickle powder it wont update so i just use a little blow of air from my mouth and it will usually update, these scales are extremly sensitive to air movement yet dont respond well to trickling strange huh

My Lyman scale is as accurate as my beam scale is.I've tested them against each other several times.I's accurate to 1/10th.gr.It is sensitive to air curenyts,etc. as the guys said,but so was my beam scale.Even with the magnetic dampner,it would bounce around if there was any stray air movements.I think the key to useing the digital is to get to know how it works,& be consistant with it.After a while,you'll get the hang of it,& begin to trust it like you would a beam scale.Good Luck.

i do trust my digital scale but mostly because ive gotten used to it like mentioned but remember to always calibrate the scale and to let it warm up, i was working with my scale just after reading this topic and have realized how important it was to do both of those steps, fort worth right now is "extremely cold " and my digital if not left to warm up is sluggish and inaccurate

i do trust my digital scale but mostly because ive gotten used to it like mentioned but remember to always calibrate the scale and to let it warm up, i was working with my scale just after reading this topic and have realized how important it was to do both of those steps, fort worth right now is "extremely cold " and my digital if not left to warm up is sluggish and inaccurate

I have a RCBS balance scale and also a Dillon digital. I found that the balance scale was susceptible to air movement, like when the furnace kicks on, and zero would creep. Like Bigwheels said, I too keep track of the negative weight (weight shown without pan on scale). If it changes at all I just put it back on the scale and hit "zero" and I am all set again. I could go with either scale, but prefer the digital.

Long

I have been using an Ohaus 1010, which is now the RCBS1010 for 30+ years with no problems. I have been thinking of getting a digital scale.
Which digital scale do you guys recomend?

JD338

If you like the convenience of a digital scale, but want the most accurate device for weighing powder charges then forget about a main line digital scale and buy a high quality jewelers sclae. They are way more accurate than a beam and don't have the hang-ups of a conventional reloaders scale. If price is an option as some of the best scales the bench rest crowd are using cost upwards of $700 then try the following....http://balance.balances.com/scales/870 Hopes this helps.

Back