Drilling

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks to the advise and guidance from Salmonchaser and Europe, I have purchase my first "Drilling"

It is a double 12 gauge on top with a single shot 9.3 x 74 R underneath.

Was tired of carrying both the rifle and shotgun during goose hunts. We are able to hunt up to 50 geese a day, plus ducks and a couple of cranes. Wanted the 12 for the geese and cranes, but it will work for ducks. However occasionally an "opportunity" moose will present itself and so the 9.3 x 74R will take care of him and of course it will also be handy if a rifle is needed in case of a bear surprise.

Had more options if I had been willing to settle for a 20 gauge and/or 30-06---several more options if I was willing to settle for a 243 or smaller rifle calibers, but preferred a larger rifle caliber for the large stuff. Moose, Buffalo, Musk Ox., Bear. and the 12 gauge for Geese

I might save my money and also go the other way in the future and pick up a double rifle on top and a single shot shotgun on the bottom, for dedicated large game but a bird or two on the way back home.

Sounds as if you found a fine firearm, Cheyenne. Congratulations. Sounds quite handy for your jurisdiction.

Excellent! May I ask you to share the make, model, and photos with us?

Dan

NYDAN":3qryrq3y said:

Dan

I will answer for her since I have been working on this for her

As of today it is between a Krieghoff 'optima" and "trumpf"

If she is also able to do both now, I would probably suggest to her, a double 30-06 over 20
nice caribou and wolf rifle with the upland bird hunting option.

We do have a couple other options, who are quoting her at this time CZ, Blaser, and a couple others. I found a really nice Heym that I like for her, but they really like it as well, as they have it priced a bit beyond what it is worth--IMHO

But if we can steal those Krieghoffs, we will. OR, get them to lower the price on that Heym. she might get a Krieghoff and a Heym and that would not be all bad, again IMHO (-;

Salmonchaser, what was the configuration of your Heym ? And having hunted with one, what configuration would you recommend for her ? thanks

If we still.hab the smallgame.as xxx years ago, my drilling wouldn't stay in the safe all the time...

Classic German allrounder weapon, getting less ans less common these days

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Europe":25e9q5x8 said:
NYDAN":25e9q5x8 said:

Dan

I will answer for her since I have been working on this for her

As of today it is between a Krieghoff 'optima" and "trumpf"

If she is also able to do both now, I would probably suggest to her, a double 30-06 over 20
nice caribou and wolf rifle with the upland bird hunting option.

We do have a couple other options, who are quoting her at this time CZ, Blaser, and a couple others. I found a really nice Heym that I like for her, but they really like it as well, as they have it priced a bit beyond what it is worth--IMHO

But if we can steal those Krieghoffs, we will. OR, get them to lower the price on that Heym. she might get a Krieghoff and a Heym and that would not be all bad, again IMHO (-;

Salmonchaser, what was the configuration of your Heym ? And having hunted with one, what configuration would you recommend for her ? thanks

Krieghoff makes fine guns. I have a K32 (the precursor to the current K80) O/U shotgun. It was originally a 30" trap gun but it was modified to be a competition skeet gun. The 12 ga. barrels were retrofitted with screw-in chokes and a set of 20, 28, and .410 gauge full length liner tubes were added for 4 gun/gauge competition. Each of the tubes also have screw-in chokes. The stock has adjustable comb and pad. The triggers were updated to K-80 triggers. I shot it very well. It is by far the best shotgun I have ever owned including Belgium Browning superposed tube sets, Remington 3200 O/U 4 barrel sets, and Winchester Diamond Grade tube sets. It has never given me a problem and I have shot thousands of rounds through it. Although when the shotgun, the barrel weight, the tubes, the chokes, and cleaning supplies were all put in one American gun case, it nearly gave me a hernia to carry it.

Mine was 12modx12full over .243. It was custom ordered by “Charlie” shortly after the wall went up in Germany. He was working there for a large multi national construction company.
Charlie carried the gun for personal protection in Africa,Vietnam and Iran. He was a super on air field and oil field projects. There is photographic evidence that several adversaries in those countries recognized he was throwing buck shot at them from extended range. The rifle barrel was used when those individuals made their final mistake.

Rita, an old girl friend, Charlie’s daughter, remembers carrying shells and handing them to Charlie as they fought their way to the Air base in Saigon during the Tet offensive.
Gotta love a gun with history.
Charlie gave it to me, I gave it back after he fell ill and was missing the gun. Rita had also wisely kicked me to the curb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The double 12 gauge over the 9.3 seems like an excellent combination.

What make is your drilling?

Could you favor us with a photo? I haven't seen many drillings.

Good luck with it. I'm thinking that should be a very good combination.

Regards, Guy

salmonchaser":1pb3rxeh said:
Mine was 12modx12full over .243. It was custom ordered by “Charlie” shortly after the wall went up in Germany. He was working there for a large multi national construction company.
Charlie carried the gun for personal protection in Africa,Vietnam and Iran. He was a super on air field and oil field projects. There is photographic evidence that several adversaries in those countries recognized he was throwing buck shot at them from extended range. The rifle barrel was used when those individuals made their final mistake.

Rita, an old girl friend, Charlie’s daughter, remembers carrying shells and handing them to Charlie as they fought their way to the Air base in Saigon during the Tet offensive.
Charlie gave it to me, I gave it back after he fell ill and was missing the gun. Rita had also wisely kicked me to the curb.

That's pretty danged awesome.

Guy

salmonchaser":dj3w6rsw said:

That is a great story; and, yes, that firearm had some history. Good move on your part to show compassion to the original owner. Can't and won't comment on Rita's move. We all have stories from the old days.

I’ve been blessed by accident of birth, some of the characters I’ve met and my life decisions, though many would call them bad decisions.
Hopefully Cheyenne only needs to use her Drilling for feathers and fur.

This is my Sauer & Sohn from the 50's.
With the big scope a classic for moonlight hunts.
16 shot for close foxes, hornet from the inlay barrel for longer shots, 8x57 IRS for boar. Front trigger has a 'Stecher' (pre-set trigger? I don't know the English word. Edit: hair trigger might be the word. Help.me here: you push the trigger forward to reduce the pull weight to a fine touch...) and can be used for both rifle barrels.
Other option is slug and bigger bullet for boar-double.
Since small game became rare and nobody wants fur anymore, you don't see it often.in it's homeland these days. I am thinking about selling it, too...
b4801ed72d400ba9d298f4cde290a980.jpg
f06431c26599857d84461fda213a800f.jpg
1041a4be6b9f52b46f68c7a51d1510d7.jpg

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

"Front trigger has a 'Stecher' (pre-set trigger? I don't know the English word. Edit: hair trigger might be the word. Help.me here: you push the trigger forward to reduce the pull weight to a fine touch...) and can be used for both rifle barrels."

I believe the proper term would be a set trigger.
Paul B.

Back