Eastmans Hunting Journal & Knife Pt. 2 and a little review

BD1

Beginner
Nov 4, 2013
I have to give credit where credit is due, after pulling the trigger on a renewal last Wednesday the Outdoor Edge Razor Blaze knife was in my mailbox today! I'm not into gimmicks and free with a purchase come ons but I felt the need to say this is kind of a neat knife. Sure it isn't a custom but, there are a few things I do like about it and I thought I'd share some first impressions about it.
First off the replacement blades aren't wispy thin and as liable to break, push button changing them out is a snap, they lock in solidly and I believe would be very easy to touch up and resharpen should you choose to. BTW, they are hair poppin' sharp, I checked.
Secondly, the handle is rubberized and sticky in your hand, I like that. My hands have gotten tired from gripping a animal fat/oil covered, slick as snot knife handle when field processing animals.Those of you that have skinned and gutted bears can appreciate what I'm talking about.
Lastly, the knife lockback locks up tight and there is very little wiggle at the blades hinge pin when open, there is also a thumb pin on the blade for opening the knife with your thumb should you choose to.
I have a hunch that after a successful hunt you can remove the blade and likely throw it in the dishwasher to give it a deep cleaning, especially in the blade slot and can oil the pin and locking mechanisms afterwards for storage.
It weighs 6.5 oz complete with sheath and extra blades on my postal scale, maybe not a flyweight for some of you that are into ultralight backcountry hunts but it doesn't feel overly heavy either for what it is.
Of course, actual field use will either make it or break it but on first inspection it does seem up to a variety of tasks. My only criticism and its really a minor thing is I would have liked a place to loop a wrist lanyard on it. Not a deal breaker though.
For the $9.95 S&H it cost me to get it here for a magazine I was going to renew anyway, I think I got a helluva deal,

JMHO,
BD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    997 KB · Views: 238
Appears to be a real nice little hunting knife. I like!

Thanks for sharing the info.

Guy

Consequently, I have two of the Swingblade knives; they are very handy during hunting season. Blkram (Gil) put me on to these blades several years ago.

Thanks and your welcome, I've got a valid bear tag in my pocket right now and would really like to give the new knife and another knife a pal over in Idaho fixed up for me a honest field test but, I'm staying outta the the woods for a few days until it cools off a bit. 95-100 degree temps and the current weather portending more lightning strikes isn't my cup of tea when it comes to bear hunting. I don't want to risk the meat going sour or the hide going rancid. With all this hot weather right now, I think the trick will be finding a bear in the first place that hasn't completely rubbed its fur coat off and only finding naked critters running around in the woods :shock: A lot of timber company gates being locked right now due to further fire danger means a long walk in, and several walks in and out if a bit of luck smiles on me again.
I'll wait for a little better weather and hopefully have another update........
Best,
Bob

Back