extraction issues

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Ok, I have a savage model 93 in 17hmr. I've had this issue from day one with this thing and it's really starting to piss me off! Basically, with the magazine installed it will fail to extract the spent brass about 90% of the time....it has a higher percentage of extraction as you go down in rounds left in the mag, but still has issues no matter the number left. Take the mag out and it's almost 100% that it will extract the brass. I tried buying a new savage brand magazine and saw no difference. Also, you can't fully insert the magazine and have it lock into place with the bolt closed, which seems pretty abnormal to me, but this is my only savage rimfire so maybe thats normal? I was out shooting it a bit today and took a short video to demonstrate....it's not quality video but I was shooting it with my phone in one hand and working the bolt with the other...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6CmVX1 ... ata_player

If you have any ideas, please let me know! So far my ideas are, in no particular order, sell it, take to gunsmith, wrap it around a tree.

Looks like a failure to eject to me. Short video though, hard to see what's happening.

I have a Savage 93 in .22 WMR. My rifle will not indent the primer enough to fire the cartridge unless the bolt handle is down against the wood tightly. When it misfires, I eject the unfired round and hand feed it back into the chamber and it fires the second time, every time, as long as I hold the bolt down.

This issue has nothing to do with yours, except, the rifle is cheaply made and most of the parts are poorly finished and/or are sheet metal. My rifle is actually quite accurate when it functions properly. I think that the issues with this model are poor fit and finish and lack of attention to detail. It sounds as though you may have to put some spacers (washers) under the sheet metal trigger guard so that it holds the magazine release catch out a little more away from the stock.

Man sorry to hear about your problems guys. My 93 HB .22 WMR pretty much works flawlessly. The only problems I get with it are when I go too far between cleanings.

My 93 is a great riflie because after some work the trigger breaks at 3.5 lbs, crisp, and it will put 5 22WMR in a big inch at 100 yds. That said, I put it in a new stock and had "Bubba" do a bedding job on it. The clip arrangement is cheap, marginal at best and the plastic stock was atrocious (Savage should be ashamed). Mine extracts OK, but the bolt jams against the clip occasionally so the bolt wont close. Send the thing back to savage. I really like mine, honestly I do, but if it were leaving rounds in the chamber mine would go back period. Call them and explian your problem. Savage is a pretty good company, I would think they would at least help you figure out a way to get it to them. CL

I have both the 22 mag and the 17 hmr. No such issues. Send it back to Marlin.

Back