Finally burned some powder...

A

Anonymous

Beautiful early spring in the Interior and I finally got out to burn some powder with a friend.

After playing scope hokey-pokey, I zeroed my Browning X-Bolt with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40...plain jane Federal Blue Box 130gr SPs print stupid tight groups. I need to just buy a pallet of it. Not my favorite bullet, but it will do for anything I might shoot at with a .270....and besides, $18.99 a box? I can't hardly load them for that!

Did some work with my son's new 7-08 Ruger American...finally. Federal Fusion 140grs. print nice and reliably at 1.25" with a Vortex 2.5-8x32. I'm thinking a little better rest and better glass and this little rifle will shine. I tried some Barnes 120gr TTSX and some Nosler BTs- still needs work but a little softer 140gr might be the right answer over a lighter bullet going faster. This little rifle is a total hoot, like a really loud .22- almost no recoil. As much as I like the big guns...I can see me finishing my hunting career with a really classy 7-08 like a Kimber SuperAmerica.

I also blew the dirt out of my much loved Nosler M48 .300WSM. Nice to know that after being drug around all winter through all kinds of stuff you can drop 3 rounds in the mag and print a perfectly triangular 7/8" group, centered precisely 1.6" high at 100 yards. That'll put me on at 200yds and 7" low at 300yds. I can hold the horizontal wire on a caribou's backline and pull the trigger at 350yds.

My buddy worked with his two .338WMs... He shot 60 rounds....by the end I could call the flinches before I even looked through the spotter.

Good news is, we're ready to hit it again for spring bears.

Federal does load some surprisingly accurate cartridges in those blue boxes. Hard to ignore them. Glad you got out. Spring time is the right time.

Nice, sounds like a good day.

I'd agree with Mike, I have seen that blue box Federal stuff work well on paper and deer over the years. Sounds like an excellent 270.

That federal blue box is all my dad will use in his Browning ABolt. All it does is kill deer without a lot of fuss

Back