first 221rem loads

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
I loaded up what I had on hand rem case, BR4 primers, 40gr berger HPV with Ligun. I loaded 14.2 -15.2grs in 0.2gr incerments. The 14.6 & 14.8grs had the best st-dev. and the velocity increase between slowed down. The 14.8gr load velocity was 3405fps with a 2.16 st-dev. The 15.0gr showed slight crattering on the primer. The wind (5-10mph) was changing directions every second and 3/4" groups was the norm for all loads. The powder dencity is not high with Lilgun but if the accuracy is there and the velocity is very high it will work. The next bullet to try is the 45gr hornady hornet spire point with a .202 BC. If I can get 3100fps and accuracy it may just be the ticket. The 40gr has a BC of .160.

There are only two 45gr pointed bullets I know of the hornady spire pt and the sierra varmiter. Any one used these two at 3100fps-2500fps impact velocity?

I need brass was gonna wait for the Nosler brass that I will get but I think I will have to get a pack of rem cases till than.

tjen,

I think the 221 Fireball is a cool little round.

JD338

Sounds like good velocity to me, I wouldn't have predicted that. What's your normal load? Off the top of my head I would guess H4198 would be about the best powder.

Sounds like it is shooting pretty well! Post up some pictures of the little 221.. Never fired one... Not for lack of wanting though!

Back