Friendly curiosity survey - how much do you shoot in a avera

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Seems like I’m always working on something.. rifle, pistol, shotgun?

I tend to be a serial loader. If I’m working on rifle, that’s all I’m working on, if shotgun, just shotgun, and likewise 45acp.
(44’s and 38’s I do on my single stage.. so they slip in between rifle sessions.)

I don’t know if I’d have an average year. When the kids were around, I had two enthusiastic shooting partners and I’d tell you it tripled the shooting, but I shouldn’t count the boys shots....although I loaded many rounds for them..and many times we went to the sporting clays course and the rifle/pistol club...sometimes on the same day.. I think mom loved those quiet days. No testosterone messing up her day... :)

I’d think an average year has 8 months of practice and 4 months of
Hunting.

Shotgun, average, about 4-6 boxes a week, except, not during hunting season. 12 cases ish, (250 rounds /case ) 3000 ish?

Pistol 2000-3000 rounds I. A year,

Rifle, trickier to figure out. 1000 rounds. Two rifles 2-3x a month, 50 rounds a session. When I do a load development, I’ll shoot 100 in a week.. but once it’s dialed in.. it goes back in rotation.

So shotgun 3000
Pistol 2000
Rifle 1000.

It’s good to have hobbies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

at one time I shot a bunch of pistol . I weekly shot 3 clubs indoors through the winter . one of them being rimfire and centerfire, the other two rimfire only . through the year me and two other guys would run around shooting matches indoors and outside . I can't remember how much 22 rimfire I shot , but I always bought enough supplies for 10,000 rounds of 45 acp . that's the most I've ever shot in a year . rifles this past summer was busy shooting long range . I shot 50 rounds per week just doing this , plus my regular rifle shooting . I enjoy it , it's a great way to spend a day .

Used to shoot a lot more - competition & training law enforcement officers - thanks taxpayers for lots of ammo!

These days I seem to average 100 - 250 rounds a month, mix of 22's, handgun & rifle. I don't shoot much shotgun ammo, just some in bird season for the most part.

So 1200 - 3000 rounds annually - but that's really rough... More 22's than anything else. :)

Guy

I clearly need to up my game a bunch.
1000 rounds of rifle
500 pistol
2000 .22 long rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":hss3dq4u said:

I tend to be a serial loader. If I’m working on rifle, that’s all I’m working on, if shotgun, just shotgun, and likewise 45acp.
(44’s and 38’s I do on my single stage.. so they slip in between rifle sessions.)

I don’t know if I’d have an average year. When the kids were around, I had two enthusiastic shooting partners and I’d tell you it tripled the shooting, but I shouldn’t count the boys shots....although I loaded many rounds for them..and many times we went to the sporting clays course and the rifle/pistol club...sometimes on the same day.. I think mom loved those quiet days. No testosterone messing up her day... :)

Hunting.

Shotgun, average, about 4-6 boxes a week, except, not during hunting season. 12 cases ish, (250 rounds /case ) 3000 ish?

Rifle, trickier to figure out. 1000 rounds. Two rifles 2-3x a month, 50 rounds a session. When I do a load development, I’ll shoot 100 in a week.. but once it’s dialed in.. it goes back in rotation.

So shotgun 3000
Pistol 2000
Rifle 1000.

Jim we probably crossed paths and shot together at matches in PA and MD along with the Nationals in OH.
During those time 10,000 45acp and 10,000 .22 rimfire was normal and sometimes more.
Rifle was hunting and enough target shooting to stay tuned for hunting.
With the virus problems I have been shooting air rifles and pistols in my yard to keep tuned up and to keep the neighbors happy. :lol:

I am more a hunter than a shooter so my round count in a year with all weapons is more likely less than a thousand rounds. My practice range is primarily at 300 yards, and in prone position. Most of my game is taken prone or sitting at or beyond 300. I am a decent pistol shot but do not shoot enough to compete with anyone here.

truck driver":vrhxiuti said:
mjcmichigan":vrhxiuti said:

Hunting.

So shotgun 3000
Pistol 2000
Rifle 1000.

Jim we probably crossed paths and shot together at matches in PA and MD along with the Nationals in OH.
During those time 10,000 45acp and 10,000 .22 rimfire was normal and sometimes more.
Rifle was hunting and enough target shooting to stay tuned for hunting.
With the virus problems I have been shooting air rifles and pistols in my yard to keep tuned up and to keep the neighbors happy. :lol:

Rodger , I'd guess we almost had to run into each other . the three of us did this for quite a few years . we really had a good time . like everything else , things change .

your air gun is kind of intriguing.

Im really not sure. I know last year I loaded and shot about 900 6.5 CM. Rarely every shoot shotguns. I used to love dove hunting, but have not even went in four years. My shotgun is only for turkey now. So few rounds to check scope, then one each turkey hopefully lol. I used to load and shoot alot of 44 mag, but have not even shot it in a while. Loaded and shot 346 rounds between both my 416's in last few months. Wish I had some of those back right now [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m way more into the hardware than the firing of it. Weird I guess. I bet I don’t shoot 500 a year. Nearly all rifle.

I think about some of the old timers I knew growing up. I still have a box of .308 Winchester silver tips my Grandpa had from the 60’s. He never shot unless there was meat on the other end. I never saw him miss but I’m sure he did.

I'm more of a hunter, so likely 500-1000 rounds last year between everything- practice, field, rifle, pistol, shotgun, .22... but it was sort of a weird off-year.

However, I have spent quite a lot of time helping a buddy start loading and we've done a couple thousand rounds getting him up to speed. I've definitely loaded more than I've shot.

Back