Getting ready for 4th season mule deer

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
Posted this yesterday on another forum, and I'm enjoying this rifle so much I thought I'd share here.

First time in 10+ years that I'll be hunting with factory ammunition. Just moved this year in April and between work and honey-do list on an 1890's farm house I haven't had time to set up my bench. 2006 was the last time I went hunting with a .270 Win so I didn't have any stocks of hand loads left either plus it's a new M70 EW that I put together.

P1000619.jpg

P1000620.jpg

I've helped buddies in the past that don't reload, and found Federal Power Shock in the blue box to be pretty accurate. So I bought 100 rounds of the same lot of 130 grain and have been hitting the range for a few rounds every chance I can get. The ammunition hasn't been disappointing yet and today I took it to 300 yards.

I shot one round at 100 to make sure noting changed since I accidentally knocked my rifle over in the soft case this morning. After confirming my zero was correct I dialed in 3 MOA on the CDS dial and let fly one round, I saw dirt on the berm fly above the steel plate so I was high. Dropped it 2 clicks and let lose another and had a solid hit, so I let two more fly then packed up to go meet my wife for lunch.

I shot from the prone on a Harris bi-pod with my hunting day pack tucked under my right arm. I was so happy with the group I might try taking it out to 500.

270at300.jpg

Either way if it keeps shooting like this I'll be set when my season rolls around.

I love that rifle Taylor. Just an all around great rifle. Can't imagine a better muley rifle really. I would bet it's quite awesome to tote around as well.

It does appear that the rifle and ammunition you've selected is up to the job. We'll certainly be looking forward to good reports of a successful hunt.

Wichester Model 70 and .270 seem to just run together like they were always just one phrase. Good luck on your hunts.

Very nice looking rifle and she is a shooter.
Good luck this season.

JD338

Back