Help .358 Win in Savage 99!

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
Ok here is the deal I picked up a Savage 99 in .358 this year, and haven't had any luck getting it to shoot. I had the rifle checked out by my gunsmith as this was an internet purchase and he gave it a clean bill of health. 2" 3 shot groups are the best I'm getting right now, giving up on the bullets I' have and looking for some new ones.

Powders I'm using have been H4895 and IMR4064 as that is what I have on my bench. CCI larger rifle primers and started with new Winchester brass. The bullets I tried were all that was at the shop the day I picked up the rifle were Speer 180 grain FP. I started loading at the canalure and adjusted my seating depth out to about magazine length on different loads. Didn't really want to use a flat point anyway so thinking 225 grain AccuBond or Partition as long as they will not be too long for the magazine.

I've never had a problem not finding at least one load that I could get to shoot and I figured the 180 grain would shoot just fine out of a .358 and might work great for deer. I really don't have a problem using that load out to 150-200 yards but I'd like to do at least 1.5" or smaller as I think I should be able to reach at least 300 yards with this rifle.

Forget the accubonds for now there to long for the 358win. The 225gr Partition would be a good bet. Other bullets for deer to try are the hornady 200gr spire point or the rem 200gr corelokt PSP.

For the Partition I have used 46.5grs of H4895 for 2430fps around 1.5" in my gun. I haven't had time to play with seating depth yet so there is room to improve.

For the 200gr spire point 46.0-47.0grs of H4895 should give you a good group. 46.0grs at 2450fps 1.0" groups and 46.7 at 2490fps with 1 1/4" groups. These were on diferent days and and the later out shot the lesser load and that paticular day?

I hear TAC is very good in the 358win but I haven't tried it yet.

I am not sure about the savage 99 but I think the win 88 was why the 358win isn't loaded to is potencial. Mine is a bolt and I would like to get 2500fps for the 225gr partitions just for the needed velocity for 300 yards expansion (1900fps). for the 200 grainers 2470-2500 is all I need, and the 225 bullets will have more energy at the longer reaches of this cartridge.

The Partition would be the do all bullet, and the 200grainers work great on deer. For bears and up I would use the Partition hands down.

One more vote for the 225 Partition and I'm using 49 gr of IMR 4895 at around moa group. FPS, dont know I aint got no cronygraph and the barrel is only 15 inches long but it works on pigs though

I'm looking to try it on elk and that is why I wanted to step up to the 225 grain. This years deer tag is for ML or else I would be using it for that.

taylorforce1,

While I have two 99F's in .358 Win I don't shoot the heavier bullets much. For the most part I load the 180 Speer for deer and black bear and that bullet is quite accurate for me using IMR 3031 and RL 10.

For elk they say to use heavier bullets.

Check that the butt stock screw is tight and the forend screw as well as long as the scope mounts.

One thing that shows up over and over is that breaking the corner on the rifles crown makes a dramatic improvement when a rifle is not shooting well.

Savage99

The 225 gr PT would be an excellent choice for deer, more bullet than you need but it will get the job done! I have killed quite a few WT deer with this bullet in my 35 Whelen. Always a quarter size exit wound, even on an inverted Texas heart shot.:wink:

Another possible option would be the 225 gr AB. If you were to file down the polycarbonate tip, making it a "protected point", it just might fit your rifles COL.:idea:

JD338

How much longer is the AccuBond compared to the Partition? Filing down the point is really something I don't want to do, but..... I did order some 200 grain Hornady SP bullets as well to try last night. I'm hoping to do a late season cow hunt Dec 15th thru Jan 15th so I have some time to work on a load and would love to use this rifle.

All screws and scope mounts are tight as well. The scope is an old steel Weaver K4, and it seems sound and POI does change when I make adjustments. Really wanted to keep this vintage scope on this rifle, but will change it out if it is the culprit.

One thing that shows up over and over is that breaking the corner on the rifles crown makes a dramatic improvement when a rifle is not shooting well.

Can you explain this better to me??

taylorce1

.358 cal 225 gr AB OL is 1.370", length of jacket is 1.200"

358 cal 225 gr PT OL is 1.170".

JD338

Back