Homeland Security buying up components.

jon2

Beginner
Sep 24, 2012
Dear all

The shortage of reloading components has now hit the UK. One of the main wholesalers doesn't have a primer in the place and Hodgdon powder is also out of stock.

On one of the UK forums, an American member had said he had listened to a radio programme where one of the senior staff of Sierra Bullets was quoted as saying that it wasn't the consumer any longer causing the shortage of components from panic buying but the Dept. Homeland Security buying up components instead.

If it wasn't for it being a senior member if staff from one of the manufacturers saying this, one would be convinced it was a conspiracist theory! He was implying that they were forcing regulation through the back door so I believe.

Can anyone verify this as being the current situation?

KR

J

the US Congress is now looking into limiting just how big the goverments stock pile of ammo is actual needed.

This administration will use our tax dallars to put the tax payer out of ammo if they can get away with it. And out law all guns for the public.

The humisides with guns has decreased by 48% since the 1990's but the three companies that own the media make you think its up. Ther were more humisides using hammers than firearms lates year. And the state and city with the most firearm humisdes is Chicago IL and it has the strictest gun laws in the US.

It's really hard to disprove something when no evidence is offered that supports the statement. (And please understand, I'm not picking on the question.)

Sierra, not that long ago, came out and said demand from their customer went nuts.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/why_cant_I_find_Sierra_Bullets.html

The problems with people running scared, is they make decisions differently, and the supply chain can't handle it. Where before, I might have stocked up by grabbing an extra case of primers when I hit the shop, now means I'll take whatever they have. (Sorry, I'm as guilty of this as everyone else if I can find a decent price.)

Even people who normally might not stock any ammo are now snapping up anything they can find, just to make sure they have something. Given the fact that there is not a ton of excess capacity in this area, it's not surprising that even a small spike in demand would cause fits. Make that a large spike in demand, and you have what we see now.

The only folks in the government that can benefit from buying components is the military marksmanship units for their match ammo which they load themselves. The military snipers who have all their ammo loaded by the marksmanship units. And possibily the HRT units of various federal law enforcement units for their snipers.

When you take in account the narrow range of components and powder required by those elements, it leaves a major gap in the story. All those other components not on the shelves.

Being in the manufacturing business, I am aware how the demand for specific materials worldwide can effect getting what is needed to produce a product.

Brass has copper as it's base element. The higher demand worldwide for copper inpacts the production of brass and bronze alloys. Also the mills around the world do not make a specific alloy on demand. Unless the client is willing to pay a high fee. Their production schedules can extend as far out as a year before a specific alloy is produced. Even the copper alloy used for bullet jackets may only be produced over a single production week, in quanity based upon a previous years requirement.

Also, many of the US mills have closed due to EPA requirements. There is a possibility that only one mill in the US is producing Cartridge Brass.

Anyway, Uncle Joe heard from hsi friend Mike, who was told by his nephew Joseph, that his freind Tony heard on the radio, that Elvis was spotted was spotted at the BurgerKing in Houston wearing a NASA golf shirt and windbreaker. <insert chuckle>

My LGS has had problems getting ammo since January, but over the past 2 weeks he has received shipments greater then he received over the past 2 months. And he is expecting a shipment this week larger then the last two weeks. Things are catching up.

Virtually every manufacturer (except the powder companies) has stated that Gov't is a very small percentage of their customer base.

I don't believe this to the extreme point of the post.

I know the govt has ordered a more than normal shipment but to the lengths that would make everything scarce? No.

You have to understand how this stuff gets carried away. All it takes is one sales person at a big gun store to even hint that the govt has caused this shortage for whatever reason and then with the internet this rumor reaches magnified proportions coast to coast.

People are buying stuff way out of sequence of their normal buying. I posted an example of a guy in Wal mart racing back to the sporting goods section near midnight to see if they have .22 long rifle ammo. In talking with him he didn't need any. I would even be willing to bet he still has a good supply and probably shoots once or twice a year. But he was hell bent to get more ammo because someone told him if he doesnt hurry and get that ammo he might not ever be able to get it.
This gentlemen sadly is the norm of Joe Public today. They are worried next week will be the end of buying ammo in the world. or something ridiculous like that.

The frenzy of buying when you see some ammo, is a double edged sword because the frenzy is making the scarcity even more so.

People need to just calm down a little and buy what you NEED and watch the shelves get stocked back up.

spoke again with a friend that works at Sierra Bullets and the response was the same. Panic buying is causing the back-up which is not going to stop until people go back to normal buying routines. I talked to a friend who runs a table at the various gun shows and he mentioned that there's a lot of people that "Don't shoot" buying up every component they can lay their hands on and then reselling it for considerably more than what they paid. He mentioned that he does get deliveries on components but when displaying them at a show one person will come up and buy whatever he has available.

Back