How much Varget for .308 155 gr Custom Competition?

kygun

Beginner
Oct 3, 2004
Can someone tell me how many grains of Varget I should use when loading .308 using 155 gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets, Winchester nickle plate cases, Federal 210 primers.

Varget best results for us are

44.5grains =2771fps.

This is for the 308 Win 155gr Nosler HPBT Competition bullet

If you are plinking at 300-600 yards, 2771 FPS works, and you may get good accuracy with even slower loads. If you plan on shooting 1000 yards, 2771 won't get you there. Between Mach .8 to Mach 1.2, many projectiles encounter increased air drag and air turbulence. This can be severe enough to cause the projectile to wobble in flight. Accurate shooting may not be possible when this happens. Note that Mach 1 (speed of sound) varies with temperature. If your load is on the ragged edge of Mach 1 at 1000, you can have good accuracy on one (warm) day, and terrible results on another (colder) one.

1000 Yard shooting with the 155 grain projectile requires a minimum velocity of 2850 FPS. 1000 Yard accuracy loads usually run between 2950 to 3000 FPS. In a .308 Winchester, one of several things are needed to reach these speeds:
  • More powder. Depending on case capacity and lot of powder, loads run between between 45.5 to 48 grains of Varget. NOTE: Most of the 155 grain loads running at or near 3000 FPS are near maximum loads, and should be approached with caution;
  • A longer barrel. 1000 Yard shooters using the 155 grain projectile typically use 30" long barrels. Some go a few inches longer. The extra 4" gets you a few extra FPS (up to 200 FPS).

For more specifics on long range bullseye target shooting, visit the board at www.long-range.com. Registration is required to view or post, but it is free.

See you on the range!

Roger that Asa! I'm using a 30" 1:13 twist tight-bore Krieger. The 155 Noslers are loaded over 46.5 gr of Varget and produce 2977 fps with good accuracy.

The load performs very well! Regards, Guy

Hello :grin: Guy, i have a savage 308 fvss with a 1 in 10 twist, 26 inch stainless steel barrel.and i shoot in fclass shoots at my local range in australia.i shoot 300 to 800 yards.
here is my load i use. 45.5 GRAINS OF AR 2208(AUSSIE POWDER) = TO YOUR VARGET.
155 NOSLER COMPETITION PROJECTILES.
REM CASES.
PRIMERS. CCI LARGE.
O.A.L 73.0 MM (2.874 INCH)
FOR 900 - 1000. I USE 46.1 GRAINS with the same above.this loads also works well at 300 to 1000 yards also.

you know the rules about reloading, start low and work up please.
i hope this helps you .

Wow - this is a Zombie thread brought back from the grave! :grin:

The original poster started this in Oct 2004... almost five years ago... :shock:

44.6 grains Varget shoots lights out in my 308 w/ Fed210M primers, however, with 155 Matchking Palmas but I would imagine similiar results with Nosler Competition bullets.

Hello,on sunday i up my load to 46.8 of ar 2208 (australian adi powder) which is equal to varget and shot 800 yards and scored 115 out 126 total in f class.
this is my new load for my savage 308 fvss : 155 hpbt nosler comp
46.8 grains of ar 2208
cci large primer
rem case
o.a.l 73.3 mm (new lenght)
no crack cases and primers showed no presure signs.

you know the rules of reloading ,load well below the max.

kygun":3k21ao5r said:
Can someone tell me how many grains of Varget I should use when loading .308 using 155 gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets, Winchester nickle plate cases, Federal 210 primers.

I'm using 46.5 grains of H-Varget with the 150 grain Nosler Partition Spitzer bullet.
Cases: Remington, Primer: CCI-200, COL: 2.82" (.01" over SAAMI)
The Nosler Reloading Manual #6 maximum charge is 48.5 grains.
No pressure signs & very accurate in my modified Remington VTR - consistent < 1/2" 3-shot groups @ 100 yards if I do my part.
modified: muzzle brake chopped & remaining barrel recess re-crowned 1/4" from face
: action pillar bedded in stock & barrel free floated (contact point dremmeled down)
: factory trigger replaced with fully adjustable Timney trigger group

CAUTION: Never take anyone elses load at face value even if the rifle is the same caliber, make & model. What is safe in my rifle might not be safe in your rifle.
Get an up to date Nosler reloading manual & start working up from the minimum charge listed carefully checking for signs of pressure. Be especially careful if you change any of the components from those listed in the manual test load data. Always wear safety glasses when testing new loads. I wear a full face helmet when firing those critical first shots in a test load. Also, when using older versions of reloading manuals be aware that new lots of the very same powder may be somewhat different from the powder used to develop the loads in the older versions of reloading manuals that may be a decade or more older.

Welcome aboard. Yes, Varget is still working well in the .308, all these years later.

This might be one of the longest running threads on the site! We're at six years now...

Regards, Guy

Has anyone here used the Nosler 155gr COMP with a 18inch barrel?

If so what is the load the you are using?

Back