IMR 7977 and the 25-06

Bbear

Beginner
Jan 13, 2015
Managed to load up a few and try this new Enduron powder out with some 110 gr ABs.

Results were rather good in my book.

Started at 56 gr and worked up to 59 gr. At 58.5 I got a 3-shot group just under an inch. At 59 grains I got a 4-shot group that measured under .5"

I then loaded up 15 of the 59 gr and shot them over the magnetospeed. Group averaged 2985 for 12 shots with an SD of 16. (22" barrel)

sorry, no pictures. I forgot to take the target cut-out out of my pants and ran them through the wash. :(

Next, I'll take them out to longer ranges - up to 450 yards - and see how they do.

Sounds like the new Enduron powders are winners. Looks like you have found yourself a good load.

Sounds like there is room to push yet. How was the case fill with 7977?

SJB358":2uz6qtj9 said:
Sounds like there is room to push yet. How was the case fill with 7977?
The IMR/Hodgdon reloading site shows 58 grs. of IMR 7977 compressed with the 117 gr. Hornady SPBT. However, they do not give a percentage.

Gotcha. I guess some of it depends on how you pour it as well. Dropping charges with a drop tube can change up the amount of fill quite a lot for me.

Interesting powder though. So far it seems really useful. I just bought another 8lb'er of 7828SSC but I might give 7977 a try in my 25-06. Need to look over the data again.

Everything I see about 7977 seems to make it a virtual twin to reloader 25. If re 25 is a good fit for a cartridge I'm thinking that 7977 is going to be just as good.

if you consider a 'full' case as the powder is up to the neck, there's still room after putting 59 grains in. The powder was about 1/3 the way up the shoulder of the Hornady cases I was using. This old rifle has over 3000 rounds through it. COAL to the lands is 3.35 with the AccuBond. I was at 3.25.

Hodgden showed 58 grains with the 117 and 60 with the 100 grain. With the group the way it is, I see no reason to push for more. Figured the max would fall in the 59 grain range and I have NO signs of pressure.
The true test will be when things start to warm up here in Texas. That's when the temp sensitivity will show up if at any time.

Sounds like a good one to me. Good to hear there is more room. Seems like 7977 should scoot those 110's a lot at 3100-3200 pretty easily if you wanted to.

With accuracy like that, if your happy with the load that is what counts the most.

I just peaked at Hodgdons data and they show 58.0C compressed with a 117 Hornady at 61K and 3153FPS. Pretty skookum load right there. They also show nearly 3400 with a 100 grain PT... That was mighty interesting as well. Might grab a pound and give it a shot when I can. I know I have some 100 ETs on the shelf waiting to do some work.

Bbear":2hk7vg85 said:
if you consider a 'full' case as the powder is up to the neck, there's still room after putting 59 grains in. The powder was about 1/3 the way up the shoulder of the Hornady cases I was using. This old rifle has over 3000 rounds through it. COAL to the lands is 3.35 with the AccuBond. I was at 3.25.

Hodgden showed 58 grains with the 117 and 60 with the 100 grain. With the group the way it is, I see no reason to push for more. Figured the max would fall in the 59 grain range and I have NO signs of pressure.
The true test will be when things start to warm up here in Texas. That's when the temp sensitivity will show up if at any time.

Thanks for the COAL info. I just picked up some 110's and am looking for a good starting point with my load development. I'll probably give Retumbo a look too.

MrMinks, make sure you check what your COAL to the LANDS is on that rifle of yours. Each barrel will be different!

Retumbo worked out real well for me with three different 115 gr bullets. Accurate and fast.

Expect velocities in the 3100 - 3200 fps range, with good accuracy. That's with my 24" barrel.

Guy

Since I have TWO 2506's, I loaded up some R-P cases up to 59.5 gr of 7977. The load is now at the bottom of the neck.
Got the truck loaded to head to the range when it started raining. Maybe next weekend. It would be nice if I could find good loads for BOTH of the rifles with the same powder!

The 22 inch barrel is where you are loosing your velocity with the 25-06. Same loads in a 24 or 26" should be 3100 to 3200 fps or in that ball park. But unless you are planning on shooting deer size game waaaaaay out there a deer will not know your velocity is between 2900 and 3000 fps. It will die just as quick which with most any 100 to 120 gr bullet put where it is supposed to go from a 25-06 in my experience is BANG FLOP. I am shooting Sierra 117 Pro Hunters at 3000 fps in my 25-06 and out of 200+ deer shot I have never lost one and never had to shoot one twice.

Took my other 25-06 out this weekend and played with the 7977 and the 110 Ab's again. Found a good load at 58.5 grains. 5 shot group right at .65" or so. Ran a few over the magnetospeed and they measured at 3125 (22" barrel) with an SD of 17. I'm happy with that as well!

Now to take both out to the range again and run them out to 450-500 and see about drops etc.

Thanks for posting your results.... it's good to get a "thermometer" on these new powders. There's a quite a difference between those two rifles.... has me thinking the gun with the 3000 rounds through it sort of now has a "Weatherby" throat..... but it still seems to be a shooter!

Yep, it is a shooter. Every time I think about re-barreling, I find a load like this and just keep punching more bullets down the barrel.
Either should work well on the whitetails and axis down here. If I get the chance, I'll report back.

Back