In praise of the Winchester 1885

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
A while back, I began shooting 45-70 seriously, for the first time. I have an old Martini-Henry in 45-70 and played with working up light loads. Then I just got the itch to own a true American buffalo rifle with that long 28" barrel and tang mounted peep sight. I got what I think is a good price on the 125th Commemorative Winchester 1885 and it is "purty"! I ordered a Varner tang sight and mounted that.

Since I had five boxes of reload 300RUM that I will never use, I offered that for some 45-70 ammo and scored five boxes of new Federal Classic 300gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter HP FN.

Today at the range, I adjusted the tang sight and got on the bull at 50 yards. I moved over to 100 yards, which is as long a distance as we have at the county range. Five rounds printed a five leaf clover, just over top the bull, high by two inches. I am happy. I did need to move my spot weld back just a little as the first round pushed the rile back enough to scratch my glasses, luckily off center. The big rifle recoils with authority, but nothing oppressive.

Now I need to remove the rear buck horn sight on the barrel. I have brass drift pins and can probably knock the sight off. Will using the brass and tapping the base of the sight be the best way to get it off, without scarring up the beautiful blue on the octagonal barrel?

No muzzle brake will go on this one! <8^))

For anyone wanting a fun 45-70, I can recommend this Japanese made Winchester. The quality is excellent, with very nice figured walnut furniture and a deep, dark blue on the metal. The scrolling on the metal is attractive. Save for the soft, cushiony recoil pad the rifle appears to be authentic to the original 1885 design, but able to handle any modern load.

Best,
Steven in DeLand

Steven, first off, CONGRATS on a sweet rifle! Love the 45-70 alot and would love to have that 1885 Winchester. Very classy rifle and exactly what a Winchester nut needs in his safe.

Unless I am mistaken, the Federal ammo is loaded with a 300gr Speer HP. It is just about the toughest 300gr bullet running, except for the defunct PT. It is a seriously awesome performer and it sounds very accurate in your rifle.

Here is one of the bullets pulled out of the jugs.

DSC_3051.jpg

I imagine a brass punch would work fine for getting rid of the rear buckhorn sights. That is an awesome rifle. I guess you found your new antelope / muley rifle!!! HA! Scotty

For sure, a good looking rifle in a classic cartridge. Give us a picture when you get a chance.

Scotty, these Federals are using 300gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter HP FN.
I wil see if I can match the groups using my 350gr. bullets that I previously loaded for the old Martini-Henry rifle.
Best,
Steven

Congratulations on the Winchester 1895 45-70. Those are beautiful rifles. I had the opportunity to shoot one in 405 Win and is was a fun gun to shoot. The 45-70 is indeed an impressive round.

JD338

So far, on two outings at the range, I fired 20 rounds each time. As I previously reported, on one of the first rounds, the tang sight hit my glasses and scratched them, but other than that, no problems and no shoulder bruise. Here in FL, I was firing while wearing just a thin, cotton shirt. I am convinced after years of hearing people tell me of grievous injuries, caused by "kick", that they simply do not know how to mount the rifle to their shoulder.
Yesterday, the gent next to me on the range was firing a Soviet 91/30, that uses the 7.62x54R cartridge. I have fired countless rounds through those rifles, as I sell them and always range test each one. The gent had a cushion under his cheek and a thick pad on his shoulder. I asked if the rifle had heavy recoil and he said that without using the padding, he would have "broke the collar bone!" He went on a bit about the furious recoil of the 7.62x54R. Last time I looked, the butt plate does not touch the collar bone, or shouldn't. The man was not a little guy and in my opinion, if he indeed did feel excessive recoil from that rifle, it was due to improper mounting of the rifle to his shoulder.
I really do like the Winchester 1885 and hopefully can wear out at least one barrel, although I do not intend to hunt deer with it. I may take it in Feb. to shoot Florida wild pigs!
Best
Steven; having fun in retirement

Steven,

I have read several posts on other forums about the recoil of the 45-70 and to me, it isn't an issue even with full house loads. The 300 gr PT at 2200 fps and the 405 gr SP at 1850 fps do kick, but its not bad at all. It is a slow recoil that gives yoiu a shove instead of a punch.
The only issue I had with the Marlin Guide gun's recoil was the small OE lever. It would smack my middle finger and it hurt. I used to wrap my hand around the lever and the problem went away. I have since installed DRC large loop lever and the problem is gone.

Post some pictures of your Winchester 1895. It is a really nice rifle and we would love to see some pics.

JD338

Steven,
I gotta admit for the first time ever on here, I've got a bad case of rifle envy!! :mrgreen: I'm starting to understand the RADD crowd. That is a seriously beautiful rifle.

You might know this but just in case, nearly all dovetails on rifles are designed to go in from the right and come out the right side. Like yours, you'd need to tap the left side with that brass punch. Brownell's has replacement dovetail slot fillers for about every size slot. Some folks just fill the slot and leave whatever extra is on there. I file them down and refinish them, but that's tough to do and get a match, unless you do some barrel re-finishing. Anyway, I think they come pre-blued if you want as well.
Elkeater2

Thanks for the compliments. I have been blessed in retirement to be able to buy a rifle when I want one. I admit, holding an 01FFL is a big advantage, because when I wanted this Win. 1885, I just sold two others that I had not used in a while and viola!, I had the bucks for the 1885.
elkeather2: thanks for those tips, regarding filling in the dovetail. I actually will probably leave it open, as it is very authentic looking as it is on the barrel.
I need to get down to the local range that has 300 yd. lanes. My county range only goes to 100 yards and that does not begin to test this 45-70.
As some of you have said previously, the recoil is not bad, and surely less than the 300RUM that I had!
Best,
Steven

elkeater2":3kec320c said:
Steven,
I gotta admit for the first time ever on here, I've got a bad case of rifle envy!! :mrgreen: I'm starting to understand the RADD crowd. That is a seriously beautiful rifle.Elkeater2

Same here! Very nice rifle! Those 1885's are very sweet rifles. They could change my mind on the single shots! Scotty

Back