Lake City Brass or the Coffee ?

1100 Remington Man

Handloader
May 1, 2007
Loaded up some Lake City Brass for my .223 Rem Load as follow with a flyer, I did not sort it buy date or weight just bought it ready to load and this the results.
.223 Rem Lake City Brass
50gr Sierra Blitz King
Primer WSR
V-133 25.4gr
COAL 2.26
Average FPS 3518.8 ES 26
This is close to Max in my Rifle Model 700 26 inch barrel
I shot three groups in a row of five shots and in every one four were tight and one flyer.
What would you do to tighten it up ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 266
Was their any rhyme or reason to the flyers? Last round of each group or after having to resettle the rifle on bags or bipod? I've had random flyers pop-up due to light conditions even - lights up sight up which could match the first target but not the 2nd or 3rd which are horizontally different.

Neck tension could do that, especially if some cases have more firings on them. I would expect neck tension to be the issue if you were using range pickup brass, or what I call "common brass" which is used in multiple rifles.

If everything was consistent than Remingtonman_25_06 is on the money. I would personally start going in deeper with very small (0.005") increments as your load looks pretty well tuned to begin with; and some slightly different length bullets might be pushing out of the node.

Old rule of thumb I was given for rough tuning is: "The shape of the group tells all. If the groups is a large equilateral triangle, seat the bullets out a 1/4 turn on the die and repeat until the group shrinks. If the group is 2 together with the 3rd out there, seat the bullet deeper in the same manner, a 1/4 turn at a time and the group will shrink."

I will try seating them a little deeper. I have no idea what shot was the flyer in group. I just put up three targets shot them walked down and took them down. I don’t use spotting scope.
Thanks for the help.

Something else that I have found over the years is to de-burr the flash hole INSIDE the case. Most cases have the flash hole punched and it leaves a burr on the inside. This will allow the primer flash to ignite the powder charge uneven. Lighting on one spot and not all at the same time. I used the Lyman tool to do this because it is about the least cost and it has a tapered neck bushing that works with all case sizes.

With that being said and all the other things above about the load. Your "flier" most likely is operator era. Most rifles and loads will out shoot most of us.

Back