Leupold & China

BeeTee

Handloader
Jul 27, 2011
To some or most here this might be old news, but I just learned in the past few days that Leupold is currently embroiled in a trademark infringement dispute that isn't going well. China is flooding the market with knock-off branded "Leupold" rifle scopes, and Leupold can do little about it. China's equivalent of our Patent & Trademark office has ruled that Leupold doesn't have a lock on the longstanding trademark "Leupold" or any of its model names, like "Mark 4". The following link is about all Leupold can do...
http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resour ... t-warning/

One more reason to avoid anything Chinese, as if one needed a reason. The knockoffs are flooding the west because they really can't design anything on their own.

BeeTee,

Thanks for the heads up.
Buy from an authorized Leupold dealer or trusted source on the internet.
If you are going to buy from someone on the internet, have them send you a picture with the serial number so you can verify it with Leupold.

JD338

DrMike":31hebz8l said:
One more reason to avoid anything Chinese, as if one needed a reason. The knockoffs are flooding the west because they really can't design anything on their own.

X2. I really don't see much anything worth a hoot coming out of china! Scotty

China is not our friend.

Just to help out, I recently bought a brand spanking new Leupold. Great scope. Have been using them almost exclusively, and very happily, since 1974.

Guy

The day will come when companies that ship jobs to China and then sell their ROC products in North America will be branded with a scarlet letter. Politicians will also be so branded who make it impossible to make things in this country. Jim

the dispute may be current but the knock offs have been coming over for years. its not just the scopes but the mark 4 rings have been a fairly common scheme on internet sales as well. if you have a chance to buy a new mark 4 scope for 500 bucks you may want to pass on that.

usmc 89 said:
the dispute may be current but the knock offs have been coming over for years. its not just the scopes but the mark 4 rings have been a fairly common scheme on internet sales as well. if you have a chance to buy a new mark 4 scope for 500 bucks you may want to pass on that. if you look at any of the small engines coming from china 90% are a direct copy of hondas. perhaps they are amusing themselves even acknowledging a copyright infringement but i guarantee you there will be nothing done to thwart the importing of them. remember folks they are the ones with all the money and industry now.

China is doing the same thing with guitars, lot`s of Ibanez, Gibson and Epiphone knockoffs.

We are going to have to do something with the trade agreements because we as country aren`t fairing well with this thing they call Globalization...........

There are a few things that manufacturers can do to protect their designs, marks and copyrights that can neutralize China’s attempt to violate the rights of others.

1- Ebay will terminate any auction when a copyright/trademark infringement complaint has been filed with them. Ebay will terminate the account of a repeat offender. All major auction sites are similar.

2- All Internet search engines, outside of China, will terminate indexing of a site when a copyright/trademark infringement complaint has been filed with them. This applies to any web site – anywhere, that is attempting to sell fake Leupold products.

If the above is done, it’ll make it pretty difficult to sell fake products. Can't sell it if no one ever sees it.

BeeTee":1gjberl3 said:
There are a few things that manufacturers can do to protect their designs, marks and copyrights that can neutralize China’s attempt to violate the rights of others.

1- Ebay will terminate any auction when a copyright/trademark infringement complaint has been filed with them. Ebay will terminate the account of a repeat offender. All major auction sites are similar.

2- All Internet search engines, outside of China, will terminate indexing of a site when a copyright/trademark infringement complaint has been filed with them. This applies to any web site – anywhere, that is attempting to sell fake Leupold products.

If the above is done, it’ll make it pretty difficult to sell fake products. Can't sell it if no one ever sees it.

for some reason i dont think that ebay terminating an auction on the basis of copyright infringements will have any impact what so ever but i have been wrong before.

Sad to see but true. In my own little way I try and do my part for our country and our economy. I specifically try and seak out brands of products for hunting and many other activities that are made in the USA!! I will buy those products over something foreign made, but especially made in China, Korea, or a few of the other countries I'd rather not do my business with. I do this even if it means paying more for a product. I literally do this with everything I buy any more.

I love Leupold scopes and use them almost exclusively and only recently caved to get a Zeiss Conquest on my son's rifle. At least it is assembled in the USA and Zeiss is made in one of the counrtries I don't mind buying things from. I'll buy the Canadian products, Austrian, German, Australin, Switzerland, and a few more. My own little one man buying campaign probably does not put any dent in this, but it makes me feel better and I think it is important.

6mm Remington":3ndi3cnx said:
I love Leupold scopes and use them almost exclusively and only recently caved to get a Zeiss Conquest on my son's rifle. At least it is assembled in the USA and Zeiss is made in one of the counrtries I don't mind buying things from. I'll buy the Canadian products, Austrian, German, Australin, Switzerland, and a few more. My own little one man buying campaign probably does not put any dent in this, but it makes me feel better and I think it is important.

Same here, took me awhile to want to use a Minox, but since it is assembled here in the states, I can cope with that. Plus, it is some awesome glass, so that really makes me feel decent. I do try and look at tags when buying items to keep it American. Guys and gals have fought too hard to not try to support them and what they have done. Scotty

I was all excited and getting ready to buy one of those Havolin knives that use the surgen blades until I saw it was made in ROC. Hmmm, no thanks.

Corey

I think the blades are but the main body said ROC on it. Sad really like the concept to.

Corey

Back