Loading leftovers

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Looking through my reloading stuff I find bullets, powder that was tried in one caliber or another and there is some leftover. Some grouped better than others but I thought why not load it up and shoot it, try in some other caliber. Better than sitting on the shelf plus gives trigger time at the range. Put Tac in my 6Br with a 70 gr Sierra MK having never used either in this 1-8 twist and one load gave a one hole group.
Anybody else shoot their leftovers? Dan.

wvbuckbuster":bjn8xyvk said:
Anybody else shoot their leftovers? Dan.

All the time. Have had some pleasant surprises, though they were less frequent than the expected busts.

Yeah, me.
Some projects just did not move on...
Usually, I use those for the shooting cinema or running boar.
A few inches off normal poi do not matter that much.
Still have two lbs of MRP that will end up in my 30-06.
Not ideal, but will do with the right bullets.
Problem is - stands are closed and I have enough ammo.
Good use for picked up cases from different brands, too. I don't go to the limits with those, so I don't sort them.
Well. If you can ever have enough ammo.
When I am through all of it, it will need a new barrel.
Probably one of the few German wildcats, the 7,62x57...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

I've got a pretty good inventory of powders that get used for new guns and loads. I do have a few Dupont powders in metal cans I should burn up.

JD338

If half boxes of bullets begin to take up too much space I just give them to one of my reloading buddies. They probably don't use them either but at least I've recovered some space at the reloading bench. Powder and brass are usually kept (nearly) forever.

Occasionally, I'll load a few odd-ball bullets to foul a clean rifle bore before working up new loads with new expensive bullets.

Yes I have done it. Biggest surprise I think I ever got was a fire forming load for my newly gotten T/C Contender MGM made 14" 30-30AI barrel.

I had some IMR 4320 powder that I never used for anything that I tried in something that did not work out.
I had some 147 gr FMJ bullets that had been given to me once up on a time that had been pulled from 7.62x51 NATO using a pair of gas plyers. They had some pretty good scars on them.

I loaded up a starting load for a 30-30 Win in new Winchester cases with some old Rem. 9 1/2 primers that I friend had given me that has been stored in an outside farm building for a few years. I had tried 3 loaded just in a case and fired and they went bang.

I have a Weaver 2.5-8x28 pistol scope on the barrel.
I went to the range and fired a shot at 25 yards and my bore sighting was close so I adjusted from the bullet hole to where my aiming point was.

I moved to 100 yards and fired a shot. I was off just a little so I adjusted to point of aim. I started shooting and after 10 shots I had a ragged hole in the target. A friend came to the range about that time and he had never shot a Contender before so I let him. He fired 10 shots and the group grew to about 1 1/2".
Between us we put 48 rounds of this JUNK ammo inside 1 1/2" at 100 yards. I knew I had a shooting barrel if it would do this with this junk. I was right it is a shooter.

I gave several hundred bullets, cases and other stuff to my elk hunting partners last fall. Some were different calibers than I have, others were some that I would never use. I think mostly .270 and ? They are good to me, if I come up short it they help me. I am beyond buying anything new.

Back