Looking for cheap but serviceable riflescope

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
I'll be shopping for a new scope for my bad weather gun, a chop-shop mosin nagant carbine, sometime before next fall and I need a cheap, compact scope in the 2 to 4 power range, fixed or variable preferably with a heavy "woodsy" reticle. Don't need or want any fancy features, just a compact light weight scope that doesn't cost more than the rifle but will hold POI. I'm not going to be climbing any mountains or flying across Afica with this one, just hunting in the back forty and maybe crawling through a swamp or 2. Anybody got any experience with such a beast?

Not knowing your specific price range, I'll suggest the Leupold Rifleman, Nikon Buckmaster or Prostaff, Bushnell Trophy or Banner.

I'll add one to Richracer's list, the pentax gameseeker or lightsseeker in the 3-9x40. I have one of the gameseekers in the 4-16x50 and it is very clear and it picks up alot of light when it is getting dark. I also had a gameseeker in the 3-9x40 and it was very clear and it picked up alot of light as well. I payed $150.00 for the 4-16x50 and $99.99 for the 3-9x40. Great scopes for the money.

When it comes to optics, buy the best you can afford. The better scopes have better quality lens and coatings which will transmit light better. Also look at the adjustment features, positive click is better than friction types to maintain zeros.

It is tough to beat Leupold for their quality, reliability, and warranty. You will pay more up front but think of it as an investment that you won't have to worry about, even on a low cost or foul weather rifle.

I would look at the FX series, they offer a heavy Duplex reticle.

JD338

Polaris - I like this little 2.5x compact Leupold. It's on my .30-30 Marlin now, and for several years it was on a .45/70 Marlin. It never lost zero even with the hard-kicking 425 gr loads I was putting through the big bore Marlin. Nice heavy duplex reticle, comes on target very quickly. Wide field of view. Generous eye relief... No wonder I kept it when I sold the bigger lever gun!

IMG_2444.jpg

Picked it up used for about $140 as I recall, and Leupold honors the warranty on their scopes, even if purchased used.

Guy

Polaris

Get the 4X fixed power Leupold scope with the Duplex crosshairs, and you will want for nothing else. It sounds like it will be plenty of scope for anything you might use it for, and it will give you a large field of view.

I am a firm believer in the fixed power scopes although I know they make the variables much much tougher these days, there still are less parts and things to go wrong with a good fixed power scope. No-one can argue that point because it is true.

Not one of my hunting rifles has a variable scope on it. I only broke down and bought a variable for my son's 6mm Remington, and we put a 4.5x14x40mm Leupold on it with the Boone & Crockett Reticle. It is a great scope and so far has performed flawlessly. Good luck with your choice, but I say a good 4x will do you just fine. :grin:

Guy Miner is correct about the 2.5X scope as well. It will work fine on your rifle. Have to give Guy some props there as he knows what he's talking about. Go Leupold for sure! :oops:

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I should keep my eyes open for a Leupold 2.5 X. Didn't Weaver and Redfield make a similar scope at one time? That is exactly the type of scope I would like on this rifle if I can find one fairly cheaply. I found an interesting scope dist. by KalinkaOptik in Belarus (they produce military optiks for many users of the Kalashikov series of rifles) that is similar. I believe it is fixed 3.5X and comes with a German style post reticleand is fairly affordable. http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=53

I've got a pile of surplus ammo for this rifle, maybe I'll try the Russkie scope and give it a nice torture test this summer. I know from experience their Dragunov POSP scope is very well made.

Back