M70 with 165's @ 200.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Quite pleased with this combination especially considering this was a bullet I had previously walked away from with this rifle.

It did well at 100 so I tried seating just a touch deeper and stretched it out to 200 yds. Grouping is somewhat off to the right but I was dealing with a 5+ mph left to right crosswind so I'll try it again on a dead calm day before making any scope adjustments.

I believe that load is going to work just fine when you put it to the test with deer.

If I didn't have the rifle bug I'd probably never pull the trigger on another centerfire and be perfectly content with this rifle on any game I'd ever choose to hunt with about any bullet weight, but alas the lure of experimenting keeps me trying new ventures.

JD, I'll be interested in following what bullet/powder combination ends up being your go to load running the 165's. If I remember right you were thinking on working with the BT's?

Speer is a very underrated bullet manufacturer in my eyes. People see their price and somehow dismiss them. I haven’t worked with their btsp’s like your load, but Hot Cor’s shoot well in more than one of my rifles, and is a pretty tough bullet to boot. Great shooting. I’d shoot anything in the lower 48 with that load and have complete confidence. Look into the Gold Dot bullet from them too. Those things flat hold together in my 308 Win. It’s like they are a ball of glue.

I used to shoot the 150 Speer BTSP in a 30-06 with 59 grs. IMR 4350 and it was 1/2 MOA easy and very deadly on deer. You should have no problem with you load and that accuracy. As has been mention the Speer Gold Dot bullets are awesome on game. I have used the 120 gr in a 6.5 Grendel on a deer and you could not ask for any better performance.

Thanks fella's. Accurate guns are interesting I believe is the saying.

I got quite a few of these bullets so I've been trying a few things just for experimenting.

This afternoon I tried 56.5 gr's and 57.5. The 56.5 load was certainly useable shooting just under 2" at 200 yds, but the 57.5 load was more in line with the 57 gr load above.

Today I was fighting a right to left crosswind. Tried to watch the tree line up at the 200 yd target and shoot when they weren't moving as much, but in the end just had to shoot anyways.

Might try 58 gr's yet just to see what it does.

Great load, good old IMR 4350 comes through again in the 30-06. Kind of like H 4831sc in the 270 Win those are just classic loads.

Congrats!
That's exemplary marksmanship there!
That load will work on a lot of things besides deer!
I hope my M70 is as accurate when I finally get out to do my range report.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Back