Medium rings work on this setup?

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I ordered a Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm AO, with Leupold 1" medium rings that will sit on a 20mm EGW rail. Will this set up work or should I have gotten high rings?

Oldtrader3":dxkk88d1 said:
You will need Leupold high rings for the 50mm objective on your scope.

He might do OK since it's on a rail. It will be really close. That 20MOA slant will probably tip the objective too close to the barrel.
I've done it - barely - with medium rings in 1 configuration. However, don't be surprised if you need highs.

I canceled the mediums and ordered the highs. Better safe then sorry

I have a 50mm Redfield in medium Talleys on my 280. There is maybe .010" clearance. With the rail, you probably would have been fine.

ScreaminEagle":3mohw3a6 said:
I have a 50mm Redfield in medium Talleys on my 280. There is maybe .010" clearance. With the rail, you probably would have been fine.

Yeah, I have 44mm's on a few with plenty of room for a 50mm. Either way, you can always swap to the lower rings or use a bigger cheek rest so you can get good stock weld.

I own (3) Zeiss scopes including two Conquests and my 44 mm barely clears a medium ring. I also own (2) German 50mm objective scopes and both of them needed high Leupold rings. Just my $.02. If I am wrong, I will send you free Leupold medium rings!

I have both mediums and highs inbound from MidwayUSA, so whatever one doesn't work goes right back.

ajvigs":1rhi7l4f said:
I have both mediums and highs inbound from MidwayUSA, so whatever one doesn't work goes right back.

That'll work!

Charlie, the reason I think the mediums will work is the rail is a little higher than standard bases, they tend to give you a little extra objective clearance. No worries either way. It'll be good to see how it works out.

I've have two rifles w 20 MOA bases and 50mm Minox's on them.
I used Burris Low Tactical rings and had plenty of room.
Here's my 308 VSSF

2659D598_zps70d6e0ea.jpg

ScreaminEagle":dd3ks1xx said:

That clearance (.010) is not enough for me, at least not with any hard recoiling rifle. You are going to hit the bell on the barrel!

Oldtrader3":34ji3h6g said:
ScreaminEagle":34ji3h6g said:

That clearance (.010) is not enough for me, at least not with any hard recoiling rifle. You are going to hit the bell on the barrel!

I have been worried about that. So far it has kept it zero, through about 100rounds in my 280. I plan on replacing it with a Zeiss as soon as I can save the scratch.
Steve

I think a 20 MOA base is a lot for the scope you plan on using as the scope has 38 up and 38 down inches in travel and adding another 20 MOA seems like a lot for a 4.5-14 powered optik? You will need an 8X scope to use all that elevation adjustment and a 10 MOA would be plenty of extra and probably not even need also? What caliber rifle ya shooting? What contour is you barrel?

I run 20's on all of mine for the most part Terry. Can't find any good reason why they hurt anything. It is alot harder to find a 10 MOA rail for a good price than a 20.

You are rite Scotty if ya can't find a 10 use the 20 MOA but it is just hardly ever going to be used ! Not many people going to shoot 1000 yds or further 1500 yds with a 4.5x 14 scope anyway, I was inquiring Near Manufacturing about a 20 MOA Alpha mount and Ricard said 10 MOA would get me past 1500 yds! Only reason I wanted a 20 was my optic becomes less stable as it's internal limits of travel per Leupold become prone to failure as they approach their limits ! Fixin to order a 3 ring Alpha mount for my 338-378 :) Ricard told me unless I was going past 1500 yds a 10 MOA would be plenty as my Mark 4 had 35 MOA And 10 more would give me 45 MOA which I will never even use !

Makes sense to me Terry. That will probably be an awesome set up on your big 338.

Back